The GOP’s Midterm Reversal of Fortune
The Reactions the Tina Peters' Clemency Have Been Off the Rails...and This Dem...
UK PM Reportedly Keir Starmer About to Resign, But There's a Catch
This C-Span Caller Said He Regretted Voting for Trump. Here's the Problem
ESPN Host Couldn't Let This Caller Get Away With This Swipe at Conservatives
When Rich Liberals Beg
Southern California Homeowners Are Being Asked to Search Their Properties for Hidden Camer...
The NHS Is About to Get Slammed With Discrimination Claims Following Tribunal's Ruling
Italian Officials Are Now Saying Yesterday's Car Attack Wasn't Terrorism, but This Instead
Prominent Jewish Leaders Call for a Boycott of Zohran Mamdani, Citing Surging Antisemitism
Israel Has Intercepted Another 'Humanitarian' Flotilla Headed Toward Gaza
Here's Why a Female Police Officer in Norfolk Was Suspended From Her Job
Social Security Is Earned—and Washington Must Protect It
Book Review: Douglas Brunt’s The Lost Empire of Emanuel Nobel
Bay Area Report on ICE Raids Is Peak Elite Cope
OPINION

Report: 19 Christians killed at Nigerian church

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Townhall.com.
Report: 19 Christians killed at Nigerian church
SANTA ANA, Calif. (BP) -- Gunmen armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles surrounded a church in central Nigeria Monday (Aug. 6) and opened fire during a worship service, killing more than a dozen.
Advertisement

According to the Associated Press, the attackers killed 19 of the worshippers at Deeper Life Bible Church in the town of Otite in Kogi state, located 155 miles southwest of Nigeria's capital, Abuja. Another report from Africa put the death total at 16 and the number of seriously wounded at nine. The church's pastor was among those killed.

No arrests had been made as of Tuesday morning, AP reported. No group has claimed responsibility for the massacre. However, the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram has attacked numerous churches and has vowed to make Nigeria an all-Islamic country while driving out all Christians. An Associated Press count put the number killed by Boko Haram at 660 this year. That number includes many Christians as well as moderate Muslims and police.

"The increasingly intentional activity of Boko Haram has taken on the characteristics of a real war," said Open Doors USA President Carl Moeller. "These are not random attacks as they're often characterized in the media. They are intentional, and they're designed with one purpose in mind: the elimination of Christianity. I call it 'religicide' or the intentional and systemic effort to eliminate a religious belief and its followers from a country or region.

"Our prayers go out to the families of the victims and members of the Deeper Life Church. May they experience the peace which only our Lord can give."

Advertisement

Open Doors USA is among a group of religious leaders and human rights advocates who 10 days ago sent a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton expressing their deep concern regarding the continuing religiously motivated violence in Nigeria. Southern Baptist ethicist Richard Land also signed it. The letter calls on the State Department to designate Boko Haram as a terrorist organization as well as to work with the Nigerian government to provide improved security for religious minorities.

Nigeria is ranked No. 13 on the 2012 Open Doors World Watch List of 50 countries which are the worst persecutors of Christians.

Reported by Open Doors News (www.compassdirect.org), a news service based in Santa Ana, Calif., focusing on Christians worldwide who are persecuted for their faith. Used by permission.

Copyright (c) 2012 Southern Baptist Convention, Baptist Press www.BPNews.net

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement