Who: Seth Moulton
Current position: U.S. House Representative of Massachusetts since 2015
Campaign Website: Seth Moulton for America
Background: Moulton joined the Marines in 2001 and served in the Iraq War. He was elected to Congress in 2015 and is currently a member of the House Budget Committee.
2020 Campaign & Endorsements
Date Announced: April 22, 2019
- Health care: Moulton is a fan of the Affordable Care Act, but says he would welcome "improvements." Unlike some of his competitors, he's not a fan of single-payer health care, which he says is "not perfect."
- Immigration: Moulton wants a "comprehensive immigration reform bill that curbs illegal immigration while providing immigrants who follow the law and contribute to our society with a chance at the American Dream."
- Environment: "Climate change is real," he says on his congressional website. He is a member of the Climate Solutions Caucus. He hopes the U.S. can one day move toward energy independence. He supported President Obama's Clean Climate Agenda and opposes President Trump's executive order on the environment, which he says shows "a complete disregard for facts and science."
- Economy: Moulton charges that Republicans have "shortchanged our nation’s families." He pledges to invest more in education and infrastructure, but his website is vague about how he plans to do that.
- Gun Control: He has introduced bipartisan bills to ban bump stocks and to prevent suspected terrorists from obtaining firearms.
- Abortion: He is a "strong defender of a woman’s right to choose" and is a member of the House Pro-Choice Caucus. LifeNews notes that he has co-sponsored the Women's Health Protection Act of 2017, which would invalidate nearly all state and federal limitations on abortion.
This piece is part of our Election 2020 series. See below for more information on the most talked about Democrats challenging President Trump.