- Sarah Palin
- Her surprise endorsement of Hoffman helped cement her status as the favorite candidate of the grassroots conservative "tea party" set. That could be helpful in Iowa!
- The Club for Growth
- Their endorsement
was a HUGE sign that Doug Hoffman could realistically compete financially. It gave everyone a reason to believe the race was 'winnable'.
- Erick Erickson and RedState.com
- RedState stared-down the NRCC and won. The conservative blogosphere has long been accused of being a paper (or electronic) tiger. Things have changed. Just as the Netroots were a real force during the Bush years, conservative bloggers are now a powerhouse. The establishment should take notice...
- Concerned Women of America PAC
- They were, I think, first to endorse Hoffman -- and they lobbied others organizations to join the cause.
- David Keene of ACU
- One of the first to get behind Hoffman
, Keene organized an early conference call for conservative bloggers.
- John McCormack
- The Weekly Standard
reporter Dede called the cops on.
- Numerous conservative bloggers like Michelle Malkin
, Robert Stacy McCain, Ed Morrissey
, Dan Riehl
-- and many, many more -- who covered the race closely.
- Talk radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh
and TV hosts like Glenn Beck
who supported Hoffman.
- Numerous conservative organizations, including Susan B. Anthony List.
- Numerous candidates (like Tim Pawlenty
) and leaders (like Fred Thompson
, Dick Armey
and Jim DeMint
) who endorsed Hoffman.The Losers
- 'The Establishment' and 'Old Order' - Ten years ago, Hoffman would have had little chance. Technology and a changing world have diminished the establishment's power.
- Newt Gingrich
- Dede's most high-profile endorser. (Though, as I have argued, Newt won't be hurt by this
- John Boehner
and Congressional Republican Leadership - Will he be Speaker some day -- even if Republicans win back the House???
- The NRCC
- Need I say more?
- Michael Steele
and the RNC
- Mitt Romney
, Mike Huckabee
, and the other presidential hopefuls who stayed on the sidelines.