Famed economist and President Trump economic advisor, Stephen Moore, explains Trump’s economic philosophy. President Trump has embraced both traditional conservative ideas of tax cuts and deregulation, but has also adopted unorthodox positions of protectionism and tariffs. Moore discusses this and more in our interview about his new book, Trumponomics: Inside the America First Plan to Revive Our Economy.
- 2:02 Stephen Moore explains the meaning of economic populism, the core of “Trumponomics”.
- 5:51 Moore explains how Trump’s economic success has resonated and has continued resonating in America’s Rust Belt and heartland.
- 9:13 Moore relates anecdotes how Trump’s tariffs have been reconciled with free trade as “fair trade”.
- 14:24 Stephen Moore explores the ramifications — or lack thereof — of the Democrat control of the House for Trump’s economic agenda.
- 19:22 Moore offers some personal anecdotes of his early working relationship with Pres. Trump and what he’s like in private.
- 24:30 Moore tells listeners and readers what he’d like them to take away from reading Trumponomics.
OUR GUEST – Stephen Moore
- Stephen Moore, who formerly wrote on the economy and public policy for The Wall Street Journal, is the Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Project for Economic Growth, at The Heritage Foundation.
- As Distinguished Visiting Fellow at Heritage, Moore focuses on advancing public policies that increase the rate of economic growth to help the United States retain its position as the global economic superpower. He also works on budget, fiscal and monetary policy and showcases states that get fiscal houses in order.
- Moore, who grew up in New Trier Township, Ill., received a bachelor of arts degree from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He holds a master’s of arts in economics from George Mason University.
- In Trumponomics, conservative economists Stephen Moore and Arthur B. Laffer offer a well-informed defense of the president’s approach to trade, taxes, employment, infrastructure, and other economic policies. Moore and Laffer worked as senior economic advisors to Donald Trump in 2016, and still meet with him regulary as members of the Trump Advisory Council.
- Trump is betting his presidency that he can create an economic revival in America’s industrial heartland. Can he really bring jobs back to the rust belt? Can he cut taxes and bring the debt down? Moore and Laffer believe that he can pull it off and that Trumponomics will usher in a new era of prosperity for all Americans.
- Stephen Moore’s first interview with CBC
- Moore’s biography and articles for The Heritage Foundation
- Moore co-author Arthur B. Laffer’s CBC author profile
IF YOU LIKED THIS EPISODE…
…check these out!
- Ep. 26: Alexander Hamilton’s Real Economic Nemesis
- Ep. 24: Economist George Gilder Explains Google’s “Marxism”
- Ep. 5: Interview With Economist Thomas Sowell
Make sure you never miss an episode. Subscribe to the Conservative Book Club Podcast!