Fox News' Twitter handle has been quiet since Thursday, November 8th and some believe it is a deliberate decision by the network in response to Twitter's disregard for safety in the wake of Tucker Carlson's home being targeted by far-left activists earlier this week.
According to Mediaite as well as Scott Gustin of Tribune Media, sources at Fox News said the Twitter silence is a tepid boycott because the social media platform refused to quickly and promptly take down posts featuring video of Carlson's home and address after a far-left group known as "Smash Racism DC" showing up at his house on Wednesday.
Smash Racism DC mobbed Fox News' primetime host's house because they said they believed he was responsible for promoting a hateful ideology which could lead to incivility and fear. So, the group decided to prove that was immoral by promoting their own hateful ideology which lead to incivility and fear. Carlson's wife locked herself in a kitchen pantry and called 911 believing the "gathering" to be a home invasion. Carlson was not home, but quickly became aware of the scene. The protesters cracked his door as well spray painted his driveway with an anarchist symbol, according to Carlson.
On Twitter and Facebook, the group posted his home address as well as video of his home. Fox News Carlson's team requested both social media platforms take down the posts. Facebook quickly did so while Twitter told Carlson to put in a request ticket, according to Gustin.
The @FoxNews Twitter account has been silent for over 24 hours. A Fox News employee tells me Fox is choosing to stay silent while protesting how Twitter handled posts targeting Tucker Carlson — specifically the ones that included his address. address.— Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) November 10, 2018
According to source, Facebook was prompt when alerted to posts that included his home address. Twitter support reportedly told Fox to "open a ticket" and did not remove the posts.— Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) November 10, 2018
Fox already released a statement condemning the Tucker protesters but there has been no official statement on the Twitter protest/blackout. Source says the Twitter blackout decision came "from the highest level" of the company.— Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) November 10, 2018
Source indicated Fox will remain silent until Twitter removes the tweets and apologizes for mishandling the situation.— Scott Gustin (@ScottGustin) November 10, 2018
Mediaite's Aidan McLaughlin says his source at Fox told him that it is a "a conscious decision in light of what was done to Tucker."
Fox News' has not commented on this matter but they did release the following statement:
“The incident that took place at Tucker’s home last night was reprehensible. The violent threats and intimidation tactics toward him and his family are completely unacceptable. We as a nation have become far too intolerant of different points of view. Recent events across our country clearly highlight the need for a more civil, respectful, and inclusive national conversation. Those of us in the media and in politics bear a special obligation to all Americans, to find common ground.”