Several governors are joining together to protest the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy, which has resulted in the separation of approximately 2,000 children from their families during a recent six-week period.
Some are pulling National Guard troops while others are withholding resources in response to the policy.
Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) announced Monday that state agencies would no longer provide resources "for the purpose of separating children from their parents or legal guardians on the sole ground that their families are in violation of federal immigration laws."
Gov. John Hickenlooper today released a joint statement with the Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition calling on the Trump administration to reverse the cruel practice of family separation.
“Purposely separating children from their parents is immoral and un-American. Immigration enforcement is a necessary function of our federal government, but it is beyond comprehension that the Trump administration is using these families as pawns to deter immigration. We urge the administration to stop this cruel practice. If the White House won’t act, Congress should. No political end is worth destroying families and traumatizing children.”
Additionally, Gov. Hickenlooper sent a letter to the Congress expressing opposition to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s policy and practice of separating children from their parents when arriving at the southern border.
In Maryland, Republican Gov. Larry Hogan said until the policy is changed, the state will not deploy National Guard resources.
“Until this policy of separating children from their families has been rescinded, Maryland will not deploy any National Guard resources to the border. Earlier this morning, I ordered our 4 crewmembers & helicopter to immediately return from where they were stationed in New Mexico,” he tweeted.
Until this policy of separating children from their families has been rescinded, Maryland will not deploy any National Guard resources to the border. Earlier this morning, I ordered our 4 crewmembers & helicopter to immediately return from where they were stationed in New Mexico. https://t.co/TEfkUXF7ZN— Governor Larry Hogan (@GovLarryHogan) June 19, 2018
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker (R) canceled resources the commonwealth had planned to send to the border over the “inhumane treatment of children,” according to his spokeswoman.
In Virginia, Democratic Gov. Ralph Northam order the resources sent to be returned.
"Virginia benefits from the important work of securing our border and we have a responsibility to contribute to that mission. However, we also have a responsibility to stand up to policies or actions that run afoul of the values that define us as Americans," he said, reports FoxNews.com.
Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo joined in, saying New York “will not be complicit in this ongoing human tragedy.”
In the face of the federal government’s inhumane treatment of immigrant families, New York will not deploy National Guard to the border. We will not be complicit in this ongoing human tragedy. pic.twitter.com/a2tTzjNisR— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) June 18, 2018
He also went a step further and filed a multi-agency lawsuit against the administration the next day for "violating the Constitutional rights of immigrant children and their families who have been separated at the border."
#BREAKING: New York State intends to file a multi-agency lawsuit against the Trump administration for violating the Constitutional rights of immigrant children and their families who have been separated at the border. pic.twitter.com/df497NyEnb— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) June 19, 2018