Meghan Markle and Piers Morgan Fallout Continues: Sharon Osbourne and 'The Talk' on Break

|
Posted: Mar 17, 2021 11:00 PM
Meghan Markle and Piers Morgan Fallout Continues: Sharon Osbourne and 'The Talk' on Break

Source: Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP

The saga continues of the fallout from Meghan Markle and Piers Morgan, namely through Sharon Osbourne, a co-host on CBS' "The Talk," who dared to tweet in support of Piers Morgan, after he took issue with Meghan Markle's account that she did not receive help from the Royal "institution" for her mental health concerns, including suicidal thoughts. Morgan has since resigned from ITV's "Good Morning Britain" and Osbourne may be the next to go from her own show. 

Osbourne explained the situation to Variety on Friday, saying that she felt "blindsided" by a last-minute decision to be asked on "The Talk" Wednesday about defending Morgan, which turned into an emotionally heated exchange in which Osbourne was defending herself as not racist in a peppering of questions from her co-host Sheryl Underwood.

Also on Friday came a lengthy apology from Osbourne, as well as an announcement from CBS that they were doing an internal review of the conversation. Osbourne told Variety she blames the network.

Since then, "The Talk" has been put on hiatus, a hiatus which has been extent. Osbourne isn't sure if she's going to stay on, just as executives don't know if they want her to stay on

In an exclusive interview Osbourne gave "ET" on Tuesday, which also airs on CBS, the talk show host reiterated that she felt Wednesday was "the biggest set-up ever." Osbourne also denied claims circulating that she made racist and homophobic remarks. About her uncertainty on returning to the show she said:

“I wish that we could go on and have an adult conversation, calmly, and work it out but I don’t know whether we can,” she said. “I don’t know whether it’s gone past that. But I don’t know whether I even want to go back. I don’t know whether I’m wanted there.”


While Osbourne has apologized to Underwood, Underwood has not responded back. The Los Angeles Times, which also reported on Osbourne in separate articles, profiled Underwood and the claims she did not respond to Osbourne's apology:

However, Underwood already spoke out on her podcast about what happened on last Wednesday’s show, when Osbourne spun out during a conversation about racism. And Underwood sounded pretty Zen about what had gone down and how she had handled her part of it.

Osbourne has not tweeted since her apology on Friday. Morgan, meanwhile, who had defended Osbourne through the ordeal, has continued to enjoy answering his critics.