America Is Back: Team USA Sweeps Canada to Take Home Gold in Milan
A Tale of Two Athletes
America Keeps Winning
A Quick Bible Study Vol. 308: ‘Fear Not' New Testament – Part 3
Iran Did Not Get the Memo
Romanian Hacker Pleads Guilty in 2021 Breach of Oregon State Government Office
Chaos Erupts in Mexico After Elimination of Cartel Leader 'El Mencho'
Byron Donalds Blasts Zohran Mamdani Over ‘Impossible’ Free Bus and Grocery Store Plan
TSA PreCheck Still Active During Partial Government Shutdown
Arizona Advances Bill to Rename a Highway After Charlie Kirk. Will the State's...
Secret Service Kill Armed Man Who Broke Into Mar-a-Lago
An Ambitious Bible-Reading Plan
Family As Communion: Familiaris Consortio
Who Wins in the Trump Economy? American Families!
President Trump Is Running a Tight Ship and Giving the Deep State a...
Entertainment

Prosecutors Drop All Charges Against Jussie Smollett

Prosecutors Drop All Charges Against Jussie Smollett
Photo by Willy Sanjuan/Invision/AP

UPDATE: Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson asks, "Do I think justice was served?" He answered, "No...I think this city is still owed an apology."

Advertisement

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel sounded off on the "ethical costs" of the investigation. He regretted that Smollett had used hate crime legislation laws to "self promote" his own career. Especially because it comes at the expense of actual hate crime victims.

"This is a whitewash of justice."

Emanuel further noted how the actor continued to claim innocence even after evidence of the hoax surfaced.

"How dare he!" the mayor said. "There's still no sense of ownership of what he’s done."

That wasn't all.

It seems like this case may not be over.

ORIGINAL POST

Prosecutors in the city of Chicago have suddenly dropped all criminal charges against "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett, who was accused of faking a hate crime. A grand jury has returned the 16-count felony indictment against the actor and his record has apparently been wiped clean.

Advertisement

Smollett filed a police report in January saying he had been attacked by two President Trump supporters in the middle of the night in Chicago. In the filing, Smollett claimed the men had yelled racist and homophobic slurs at him and placed a noose around his neck. Later, the ambush was reported as a hoax. The actor was accused of paying a pair of Nigerian brothers, one of whom had worked as an extra on "Empire," to stage the whole thing. Throughout the case, Smollett was adamant he did not make up the attack. 

“Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29th," Smollett's attorney said Tuesday. "He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement."

Advertisement

Chicago police have expressed their frustration over the amount of resources they used to get to the bottom of the alleged hate crime.

"It pissed everybody off," Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said.

Smollett is expected to speak to the press as he leaves court on Tuesday.

The Cook County State Attorney's office explained why they abandoned charges.

"We are very anxious for Jussie to get on with his career and his life," Smollett's attorney Patricia Brown Holmes said on Tuesday after her client's charges were dropped. 

"I have been truthful and consistent on every single level from day one," Smollett said in a brief statement. 

Editor's Note: This post has been updated with additional information.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement