A North Carolina school refused to hang posters depicting an American Flag and the national motto “In God We Trust” because their legal counsel feared the signs would be seen as promoting religion.
The American Legion offered the free posters to the Watauga County School District, but found the 130 framed images unwanted.
As reported by Fox News:
“We got an email from the school saying thank you but on advice of their legal counsel they could not accept the posters because of separation of church and state,” American Legion member Rick Cornejo told me in a telephone interview.
I suspect the school board is wary of militant anti-Christian bigots and their army of legal minions – poised to attack God-fearing Americans with lawsuits.
Cornejo, who is also a local Baptist preacher, said the decision to ban the posters has resulted in a lot of hurt feelings.
“It’s disappointing, it really is,” he said. “Educators are asking us for those posters so they can put them in their classrooms but right now they can’t do it – because the school board won’t let them.”
The 16x20 inch framed posters include the words “In God We Trust,” with an American flag in the background.
It reads: “The national motto of the United States, adopted by Congress, July 30, 1956.”
A spokesman for the school district told the Watauga Democrat newspaper that “In God We Trust” was banned on the advice of their legal counsel. They feared someone could see the poster and construe the district was promoting religion.
A 2012 Gallup poll found the majority of Americans still claim to be of a religion:
“In God We Trust” starting appearing on American currency in 1864. That is almost 150 years. Surely there have been millions of non-religious Americans in that time span. So why the power shift now? Why does only 23 percent of the population have authority over the other 77 percent? This instance is merely a continuation in the rise of the minority rule. Apparently, not even a school district snuggled in the Bible Belt is safe from the growing threat.
Wyo., ND Governors To EPA: Hey, We Need More Time On Clean Power Plan Because You Totally ‘Blindsided’ Us | Matt Vespa
Police Agencies Display 'In God We Trust' on Patrol Cars, Tell Critics to 'Go Fly a Kite' | Leah Barkoukis
Kasich: Maybe I'll Buy Bibles for Medicaid Expansion Critics, So They'll Care About the Poor | Guy Benson
Despite Video Investigation, 30 Percent of Americans Have ‘Very Favorable’ View of Planned Parenthood | Cortney O'Brien