FBI Had to Slap Down CBS News Over This Fake News Piece About...
A Dance Team Did Not Just Do This Regarding the ICE Shooting in...
Ilhan Omar Just Called on Democrats to Abolish This Agency
DHS Issues Memo Allowing ICE to Arrest, Detain Refugees
The Deplorable Treatment of Afghan Women Is a Glimpse Into Our Future
In Record Time, Voters Are Regretting Electing Socialist Mamdani
Steven Spielberg Flees California Before Its Billionaire Wealth Tax Fleeces Him
Why Does 'Trans' Minnesota Politician Finke Oppose Restricting Adult Websites?
Here's What President Trump Had to Say About the Supreme Court's Tariff Ruling
Rep. Becca Balint Admits What We've All Known About Illegal Immigrants and Voting
Pennsylvania Principal Drops the Hammer on Students' Anti-ICE Protest
Oklahoma Bill Would Mandate Gun Safety Training in Public Schools
Behold the Dumbest Attempt at Comparing Pretti to Rittenhouse
Will The Trump Administration Be Forced to Pay Back Billions in Tariff Revenue?
Justice Thomas Blasts The Supreme Court Majority for Striking Down Trump’s Tariffs
Tipsheet

You're Wrong: CNN Steps On A Rake With Donald Trump. Jr. Wikileaks Story

You're Wrong: CNN Steps On A Rake With Donald Trump. Jr. Wikileaks Story

Editor's Note: Post has been updated to include that CNN also included Donald Trump and other officials in the Wikileaks non-story. Also, Michael Erickson emailed the Trump team, not Wikileaks. That's on me, folks.

Advertisement

Bombshell! A man emailed Donald Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and other figures within the Trump inner circle with possible foreknowledge to thousands of emails during the 2016 election—and had given him the decryption key for the hacked documents from the DNC and John Podesta. CNN dropped this report earlier today [emhasis mine]:

Candidate Donald Trump, his son Donald Trump Jr. and others in the Trump Organization received an email in September 2016 offering a decryption key and website address for hacked WikiLeaks documents, according to an email provided to congressional investigators.

The September 4 email was sent during the final stretch of the 2016 presidential race -- on the same day that Trump Jr. first tweeted about WikiLeaks and Clinton.

Are we getting closer to evidence of Russian collusion? Is this a hot story? No, not even close. In fact, it’s completely wrong. All of this information was public and it was The Washington Post who reported on this trip up. CNN stepped on a rake on this one, or if you will, pulled a Brian Ross [emphasis mine]:

Advertisement

Related:

DONALD TRUMP

A 2016 email sent to President Trump and top aides pointed the campaign to hacked documents from the Democratic National Committee that had already been made public by the group WikiLeaks a day earlier.

The email — sent the afternoon of Sept. 14, 2016 — noted that “Wikileaks has uploaded another (huge 678 mb) archive of files from the DNC” and included a link and a “decryption key,” according to a copy obtained by The Washington Post.

The writer, who said his name was Michael J. Erickson and described himself as the president of an aviation management company, sent the message to the then-Republican nominee as well as his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., and other top advisers.

The day before, WikiLeaks had tweeted links to what the group said was 678.4 megabytes of DNC documents.

The full email — which was first described to CNN as being sent on Sept. 4, 10 days earlier — indicates that the writer may have simply been flagging information that was already widely available.

Advertisement

ABC News’ Brian Ross also had an issue with dates that cost him four weeks without pay. He was suspended after he erroneously reported that Michael Flynn had been directed to contact the Russians by Donald Trump during the 2016 campaign. This was actually discussed after the election when President-elect Trump was laying the diplomatic groundwork for his incoming administration. Ross was suspended and will no longer be reporting on the president. It seems at CNN, they didn’t learn anything from ABC News’s trip up. 

***

UPDATE: CNN won’t discipline reporter who filed incorrect story on Trump Jr./Wikileaks, says he followed editorial guidelines but his sources gave him wrong information.

Advertisement

Yeah, again, this information was public—and this fact hasn’t gone unnoticed.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos