Judge Slaps Catherine Herridge With Contempt and Heavy Fines Until She Reveals Her...
New Poll Shows the Left's Pro-Hamas Antics Have Backfired
Congress Extends Government Funding Another Week to Stop Partial Shutdown
American Paralysis and Decline
Trump's Fainthearted SCOTUS Picks Could Doom Him in DC Election Case
Soft-Soaping the 'Uncommitted' Voters Who Back Hamas
If This Is 'Christian Nationalism,' Sign Me Up!
Some Idiosyncratic Observations of the Elections So Far
Morning Joe: an Abysmal Waste of Airwaves
Michigan Tries Crazy
States Are Moving to Protect Kids Online. Time for D.C. to Follow Suit.
Bulk Mail Voting Is an Open Invitation to Fraud
The Palestinian Cause Has Officially Jumped the Shark
KJP Defends Biden Not Taking a Cognitive Test, Claims the Demands of His...
Kathy Hochul Has the Green Light to Give State Jobs to Illegal Migrants
Tipsheet

Sudan Reaches Settlement With Victims and Families of USS Cole Attack

AP Photo/Hasan Jamali, File

It’s been nearly 20 years since the attack on the USS Cole in Yemen, but the families of victims are finally seeing a bit of justice. Sudan’s transitional government reached a settlement deal last week in an effort to be removed from the U.S.’s terrorism list.

Advertisement

Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the Oct. 12, 2000 attack, which killed 17 sailors and injured dozens of others when suicide bombers in a small boat detonated explosives while the U.S. destroyer was refueling in the port of Aden. Sudan continues to deny involvement, but the terrorists were trained in the country. A U.S. court ruled in 2014 that Sudan provided support to the terror group, leading to the attack. 

Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok said the deal was made "to meet the conditions set by the US administration to remove Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism in order to normalize relations with the United States and the rest of the world."

Victims and the family members of those killed will be compensated. 

The victims' families, along with the wounded sailors, had sued the Sudanese government in U.S. courts demanding compensations.

In 2012, a federal judge issued a judgment of nearly $315 million against Sudan but last March, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned that ruling on the grounds that Sudan had not been properly notified of the lawsuit.

Andrew C. Hall, a lawyer who represents survivors of the attack, said at the time that the victims, though disappointed with the ruling, would continue the case, along with a second related case filed by family members of the 17 sailors who died in the attack.

Thursday's announcement of the settlement from Khartoum comes two days after Sudan's provisional rulers said they had agreed to hand over autocrat al-Bashir to the International Criminal Court to face trial on charges of war crimes and genocide during the fighting in the western Darfur region. (The New York Times)

Advertisement

Sudan said the payout is meant to “settle the historical allegations of terrorism left by the former regime” of Omar al-Bashir, who was ousted in a military coup back in April.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement