Law Professor's Take on the SCOTUS Decision on Tariffs Will Likely Not Please...
DHS Issues Memo Allowing ICE to Arrest, Detain Refugees
Utah Governor Lashes Out at Trump Administration Over Effort to Block State Gambling...
We Are a Nation of Too Many Laws – Some Congress Members Are...
This Prosecutor Just Unveiled Shocking New Plan to Go After ICE Agents
Supreme Court Orders CNN to Respond
'Disgrace:' President Trump Responds to the Supreme Court's Tariff Ruling
Rep. Becca Balint Admits What We've All Known About Illegal Immigrants and Voting
Pennsylvania Principal Drops the Hammer on Students' Anti-ICE Protest
Wisconsin's Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Tom Tiffany Earns Two Big Endorsements
Gavin Newsom Wants to Run the Country, but He Can't Keep Track of...
The Supreme Court Just Issued Their Ruling on President Trump's Tariffs
Behold the Dumbest Attempt at Comparing Pretti to Rittenhouse
DeSantis Blasts Mamdani Over Proposed Property Tax Hike As Florida Moves to Eliminate...
Republican Steve Hilton Surges to the Lead in California Gubernatorial Race
Tipsheet

"Little Squabble": Here’s Where the White House Stands on Trade Talks With China

"Little Squabble": Here’s Where the White House Stands on Trade Talks With China

Before boarding Air Force One for an infrastructure focused trip to Louisiana Tuesday afternoon, President Trump spoke with reporters about ongoing trade talks with China. 

Advertisement

“We’re having a little squabble with China,” he said. “The relationship I have with President Xi is extraordinary."

"But he’s for China and I’m for the USA. It’s very, very simple,” he continued. “I think it’s going to turn out extremely well we’re in a very strong position."

Earlier this week the Trump administration slapped an additional $200 billion in tariffs on Chinese goods. China retaliated with $60 billion in tariffs on U.S. goods. Wall Street responded with a 600+ point drop to start the week.

Ahead of a meeting with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban Monday, President Trump said a deal with China was "95 percent there," but that the Chinese changed the terms and said the deal was off.

"We take in billions of dollars, it’s a very positive step, I love the position we’re in. There can be some retaliation, but it can’t be very very substantial by comparison. A small portion will go to our farmers, they’ll be very happy, our industries will be very happy," Trump said. "We had a deal, 95 percent was there."

Early Tuesday morning, President Trump further explained the situation on Twitter. 

Advertisement
Advertisement
Over the weekend, White House economic advisor Larry Kudlow talked about the cost of the current "squabble" for Americans.

Meanwhile, President Trump says the dialogue will continue and he will meet with President Xi at the G20. . 

 "We had a deal that was very close and then they broke it,” he said.




Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement