Las Vegas, NV — Former Vice President Joe Biden released his full gun control plan ahead of the "2020 Presidential Gun Safety Forum" event in Las Vegas on Wednesday.
"It’s within our grasp to end our gun violence epidemic and respect the Second Amendment, which is limited. As president, Biden will pursue constitutional, common-sense gun safety policies," Biden's campaign website states.
Under his newly released plan, Biden is calling for:
- Banning "the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines."
- Regulating the "possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act," meaning AR-15s and similar weapons will be regulated like actual machine guns.
- Instituting a buy back program for "assault weapons and high-capacity magazines."
- Supporting legislation that only allows one firearm purchase per month.
- Universal background checks.
- Ending the online sale of firearms and ammunitions, which includes kits and gun parts.
- Supporting legislation that give states and local governments grants to require people to obtain a license prior to purchasing firearms.
- Putting "America on the path to ensuring that 100% of firearms sold in America are smart guns," meaning only guns can fire if it matches the owner's fingerprints.
"As president, Joe Biden will defeat the NRA again," his website adds, pointing to how he helped pass the 1993 Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act and the 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban.
"There are a lot of things in the peace plan that are also in this package that the [vice president] is putting forward...The [vice president] is very excited to work with the March for Our Lives students, and so many others all across the country who are building a grassroots movement to get gun legislation done," they said.