It’s Not 1950 Anymore But Democrats Are Still Racists
A Media Shallow Dive on Kash Patel 'Desecrating' Snorkeling Trip; Press Headaches Still...
Maryland Madness: Lead Ammo Prohibitions Dead – for Now
A Lesson in Economics for AOC
Nakba Forever
Make America Florida
Nullification With a Press Release
Book Review: A Call to Restore America’s Foundations
Hey, Gen Z, Be Nice to Your Prom Date
Kevin O’Leary’s Utah Data Center: To Use Renewables or Not to Use Renewables
The Mifepristone Manufacturers’ Blame-Game—and the High Court’s Capitulation—Are Hard Pill...
Parents Can No Longer Trust Librarians. Here’s Who to Blame.
Surprise: The WNBA Still Hates Caitlin Clark
Stephen Miller Scorches Thomas Massie Over ICE Funding Votes
Wow, TrumpRx Is Going To Save How Much Money for Americans?
Tipsheet

Restaurateurs: Mr. President, Make One Change to PPP and It Will Be a 'Godsend'

 Restaurateurs: Mr. President, Make One Change to PPP and It Will Be a 'Godsend'
AP Photo/Evan Vucci

Before the meeting was upended by President Trump's shock reveal that he's been taking hydroxychloroquine for two weeks now, Trump chatted with a group of restaurant industry leaders in a roundtable discussion to learn how they've been faring during the coronavirus pandemic. The restaurateurs in turn provided some counsel to Trump and members of his cabinet which they believe will help keep their establishments alive. 

Advertisement

The Payment Protection Program, a provision in the CARES Act intended to help struggling small businesses, has so far provided $38 billion in aid to hundreds of thousands of restaurants. And the leaders at the table were grateful.

James Bodenstedt, president and CEO of MUY Companies, said that the PPP was "such a big deal" that he was able to retain all of his 20,000 employees that work in his over 700 restaurants.

Yet, the table had a few requests. 

"Mr. President, the PPP would be a godsend if we can make one change. If we can extend the time that we have, to spend the proceeds," said Marvin Irby, interim president and CEO of the National Restaurant Association.

The 8-week period, Irby argued, is simply not enough time for many communities. A buffer, he continued, will allow smaller restaurateurs to open. He clarified for Secretary Mnuchin that they're not asking for additional money, just the extra flexibility.

The consensus among the restaurant industry leaders was that they need 24 weeks to spend the funds, not eight weeks as the current measure mandates. That would move the end-date from June 30 to October 31.

Trump appeared to be very open to the change, turning to his left and asking Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin if it could be done. Mnuchin said he is working on a "technical fix" to alter the loan window and that there is bipartisan support for it. Democrats proposed the change in the recent HEROES Act.

Advertisement

Related:

PRESIDENT TRUMP

Trump later added it was one of the "easiest requests he's ever heard."

"I think what they're asking for is very reasonable," the president told the press.

There are over 650,000 restaurants in the U.S. and, as Vice President Mike Pence noted, Americans get 50 percent of their sustenance from restaurants. 

Considering they employ thousands of people, the president wants to get it done.

You can watch the entire roundtable discussion below.

Editor's Note: Want to support Townhall so we can keep fighting the ChiComs and tell the truth about China and the virus they unleashed on the world? Join Townhall VIP and use the promo code WUHAN to get 25% off VIP membership!

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement