During a press conference on Saturday, Vice President Mike Pence announced that the Trump administration plans to expand travel bans to include the United Kingdom and Ireland. The ban goes into effect Monday night at midnight eastern standard time.
"As the president just suggested, all of our health experts presented information. Dr. Fauci will reflect on those numbers. [They] made a unanimous recommendation to the president that we suspend all travel from the U.K. and Ireland that will be effect midnight Monday night eastern standard time," Pence said during the press conference. "Again, Americans in the U.K. or Ireland can come home. Legal residents can come home... they will be funneled through specific airports in the process."
"The President has made a decision to suspend all travel to the UK and Ireland effective midnight Monday night EST" says Mike Pence.— Sky News (@SkyNews) March 14, 2020
Read the latest on #coronavirus: https://t.co/QaywZ7SMve pic.twitter.com/CvDHcrbo5b
Last week, President Trump suspended all travel from the European Union. When the initial Wuhan Virus broke out in China, President Trump announced a ban on all travel from China. Not long after that announcement, the administration extended the ban to include Iran and any foreign national who has visited the country in the previous 14 days.
Here's a map of the latest look at the travel ban due to the coronavirus. The only thing not reflected is today's announcement that includes Ireland and the UK. pic.twitter.com/4n1Y06GzIY— Beth Baumann (@eb454) March 14, 2020