FBI Had to Slap Down CBS News Over This Fake News Piece About...
A Dance Team Did Not Just Do This Regarding the ICE Shooting in...
Ilhan Omar Just Called on Democrats to Abolish This Agency
DHS Issues Memo Allowing ICE to Arrest, Detain Refugees
The Deplorable Treatment of Afghan Women Is a Glimpse Into Our Future
In Record Time, Voters Are Regretting Electing Socialist Mamdani
Steven Spielberg Flees California Before Its Billionaire Wealth Tax Fleeces Him
Why Does 'Trans' Minnesota Politician Finke Oppose Restricting Adult Websites?
Here's What President Trump Had to Say About the Supreme Court's Tariff Ruling
Rep. Becca Balint Admits What We've All Known About Illegal Immigrants and Voting
Pennsylvania Principal Drops the Hammer on Students' Anti-ICE Protest
Oklahoma Bill Would Mandate Gun Safety Training in Public Schools
Behold the Dumbest Attempt at Comparing Pretti to Rittenhouse
Will The Trump Administration Be Forced to Pay Back Billions in Tariff Revenue?
Justice Thomas Blasts The Supreme Court Majority for Striking Down Trump’s Tariffs
Tipsheet

Trump Announces New Plans After the First U.S. Coronavirus Death

Trump Announces New Plans After the First U.S. Coronavirus Death
AP Photo/Aaron Favila

Public health officials on Saturday announced that a 50-year-old in Washington State is the first person in the United States that has died as a result of the coronavirus. The patient had not recently traveled. It is believed that he or she contracted the disease from "community spread," the Los Angeles Times reported.

Advertisement

From NBC News:

Previously much of the focus was on people who had visited places such as Wuhan, China, where the outbreak began, or who had been in close contact with people who were infected.

The patients from these four cases have no known travel history or exposure to someone who had traveled or been infected. Not all four have been confirmed by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention testing, but they tested positive locally.

As a result of this new information, the Center for Disease Control is changing testing guidelines to include those who have symptoms but have not recently traveled. 

There is a woman at the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento who has the first known case of community spread in the United States.

President Donald Trump held a press conference with the National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases Director Dr. Anthony Fauci earlier in the day, assuring Americans that the risk for contraction still remains low.

"The country as a whole still remains at low risk but this is an evolving situation,” Dr. Fauci said. “There will be additional cases but we should not be surprised by that. The challenge is how we deal with it.”

The Trump administration is expanding a travel ban from Iran to include any foreign national who has visited the country in the last 14 days. In addition, a stage four travel warning is being put out, advising Americans not to travel to parts of Italy and South Korea.

Advertisement

"We are urging Americans not to travel to the areas in Italy and the areas in South Korea that are the most affected by the coronavirus," Vice President Mike Pence said during the press conference. 

The State Department will also work with allies in Italy and South Korea to create medical screenings in those countries for anyone who is attempting to travel to the United States. 

“We want to lower the amount of travel to and from the most impacted areas,” Alex Azar, the secretary of health and human services, said. "This is a basic containment strategy.”

President Trump said on Monday he will be meeting with various pharmaceutical companies to discuss vaccines.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos