America Is Back: Team USA Sweeps Canada to Take Home Gold in Milan
Democrats Are Obsessed With White Men
America Keeps Winning
A Quick Bible Study Vol. 308: ‘Fear Not' New Testament – Part 3
Iran Did Not Get the Memo
TSA PreCheck Still Active During Partial Government Shutdown
Arizona Advances Bill to Rename a Highway After Charlie Kirk. Will the State's...
Secret Service Kill Armed Man Who Broke Into Mar-a-Lago
An Ambitious Bible-Reading Plan
Family As Communion: Familiaris Consortio
Who Wins in the Trump Economy? American Families!
President Trump Is Running a Tight Ship and Giving the Deep State a...
New York City Cannot Afford Democratic Socialism
Feds Indict Six More in Venezuelan Gang's High-Tech ATM Heist – Total Hits...
Michigan Auto Dealer Management Firm Pays $1.5M to Settle PPP Fraud Claims
Tipsheet

At Least One Dead,18 Others Injured In New Orleans After Hotel Under Construction Collapses

At Least One Dead,18 Others Injured In New Orleans After Hotel Under Construction Collapses

At least one person and 18 others have been injured after the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans, which was under construction, collapsed at 9:10 a.m. local time.

Two people who were in the building are still missing. Drones have been deployed to search for them. According to NOLA.com, no one on the street sustained injuries. 

Advertisement

The building's upper six to eight floors collapsed and the remainder of the building was very unstable, New Orleans Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell said during a news conference earlier in the day.

"It's still a very dangerous situation," he told Fox News. "The crane is still in place but it is unsupported and very dangerous. We are in the process of evacuating the buildings in the perimeter."

Buildings in a square made up of Bienville Street, Basin Street, Canal Street and Burgundy were evacuated. Saturday's performances of Wicker at the Saenger Theatre, across the street from the hotel, was also cancelled.

City officials are encouraging people to stay away from the area.

"The frame of the building is considered stable but is unsupported, and therefore the situation is considered dangerous and residents are strongly encouraged to avoid the area until further notice," LaTonya Norton, a spokeswoman for New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell. said.

Matt Worges, who saw the collapse take place, described what he saw to NOLA.com.

"It sounded like a -- I don't know how to describe it -- like a building coming down," Worges explained. "It was a deep, rumbling sound. Like an airplane maybe. It drew my head immediately."

Advertisement

Here's a look at the collapse:

This is a developing story. As more information comes in, this post will be updated.

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement