CNN has issued a (serious, it seems) statement admonishing President Trump's
"It is a sad day when the President of the United States encourages violence against reporters. Clearly, Sarah Huckabee Sanders lied when she said the President had never done so. Instead of preparing for his overseas trip, his first meeting with Vladimir Putin, ?dealing with North Korea and working on his health care bill, he is instead involved in juvenile behavior far below the dignity of his office. We will keep doing our jobs. He should start doing his."
Come on. Personally, I am not in favor of the President personally attacking the media, and agree with Derek Hunter's Sunday column where he argues that while there's nothing inherently wrong with the President's tweets, they are a distraction from accomplishing his agenda. But, CNN is not a person, and the President was not encouraging violence against reporters.
It takes a lot of nerve for CNN to trot out this list of issues the President should be paying attention to when for the bulk of the week their attention has been on his Twitter feud with some irrelevant MSNBC hosts or some fake Time Magazine covers he may or may not have at his golf club.
And it takes even more nerve for them to claim they will "keep doing their jobs" and accuse the White House of lying after the last, oh, ten days or so. Here's a recap of the events:
- 3 CNN employees resigned after publishing false, anonymously-sourced story about Trump adviser Scaramucci meeting with Russians.
- CNN producer admits that Russia collusion story is "mostly bull****" but it's good for ratings.
- Contributor Van Jones admits that the Russia story is a "big nothingburger."
- CNN associate producer says American voters are "stupid as s***"
- Jake Tapper's show busted using a fake National Enquirer cover while covering the Joe & Mika story.
Yet Jim Acosta still has this tweet pinned to the top of his timeline:
We are real news Mr. President. #realnews— Jim Acosta (@Acosta) February 18, 2017
As with many liberals and media organizations, the lack of self-awareness is stunning.