FBI: There Was No Investigation Into Farook Before Attack

Cortney O'Brien
|
Posted: Dec 07, 2015 4:00 PM
FBI: There Was No Investigation Into Farook Before Attack

FBI and ATF agents were on hand Monday afternoon to answer questions about their investigation into the San Bernardino attack that left 14 people dead. Five days in, the officials admitted they have yet to answer the “how” and “by whom” questions regarding how Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik became radicalized.

FBI Assistant Director David Browdich said they are still in the investigative phase and have yet to confirm if there was any preplanning involved. He admitted Farook was not on their watch list before he opened fire on his coworkers.

"We did not have an open investigation into Mr. Farook at the time of this incident."

Yet, he ensured the public they are working around the clock to find answers.

“We are an apolitical organization and we want to get to the bottom of this,” he said.

He added that investigators have not found evidence of suicide vests.

An ATF special agent spoke a little about the guns used by Farook and Malik in their murder rampage. They were purchased from federal firearms licensed dealers in California from 2007-2012.

"Right now our major concern...is determining how those firearms...got from Marquez to Farook and Malik," he explained.

The guns have been transferred to an FBI laboratory, where employees are performing a forensics investigation, he revealed.

A new picture has surfaced showing the murderous couple going through customs at the Chicago O'Hare airport last year. Arriving from Saudi Arabia, the two apparently did not raise any red flags with authorities. 

San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan closed today's press conference by revealing the two practiced at the gun range frequently before they savagely killed 14 people and wounded several others.

“People are on edge, a little extra cautious,” Burguan said.

The FBI will meet with the victims’ families this week.