Donald Trump is walking back one of his more controversial policy positions: a ban on Muslims immigrating to the United States. Now, Trump is saying that the ban was "just a suggestion" and is by no means final.
Donald Trump evoked outrage from across the political spectrum Monday by calling for a “total and complete shutdown” of Muslims entering the U.S., a proposal that taps into voter anxiety about the recent spate of terrorist attacks yet likely runs afoul of religious freedoms enshrined in the Constitution. “It is obvious to anybody the hatred [among Muslims] is beyond comprehension,” Mr. Trump said. “Where this hatred comes from and why, we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life.”
The planned ban, Trump said on Fox News Radio’s “Kilmeade and Friends,” is only “temporary.”
“It hasn’t been called for yet. Nobody’s done it,” the presumptive Republican nominee said.
“This is just a suggestion until we find out what’s going on.”
Trump stood by his proposal, which has been criticized as potentially unconstitutional, as he has repeatedly since emerging as the presumptive GOP nominee last week.
It makes sense that Trump would tone down the extreme rhetoric now that he's the presumptive GOP nominee, but it doesn't look great that he's completely walking back positions.