PARIS, France – The city of Paris stood for a minute's silence earlier today in memory of those killed in Friday's terrorist attack. The army were on the streets securing key sites as police confirmed they had arrested a total of 23 people, with more expected.
Overnight, police raided 168 locations, using special powers granted as part of the state of emergency that is still in force. A total of 104 people are now also under house arrest, as authorities admitted at least one key suspect is on the loose.
The arrest warrant for 26-year-old Salah Abdeslam, brother of one of the bombers was issued over the weekend. He is described as "extremely dangerous" and authorities have warned the public not to approach him. Police also admitted they had Mr Abdeslam in their grasp on Saturday when they stopped a car he had rented.
They let the car go close to the Belgian border, despite its connection with Abdeslam having already been established by security services. It had been used to carry a group of hostage takers to the Bataclan theater, were the majority of the victims of the attack died. There were three men on board when it was stopped.
The attack was the worst on French soil since WWII, and would have been worse still had security not prevented at least one suicide bomber from getting into the international soccer match between France and Germany
Overnight the French airforce launched its largest attack yet against the Islamic State's capital, Raqqa. The French Prime Minister, Manuel Valls, described the country as being "at war". Authorities said Sunday night's airstrikes destroyed a jihadi training camp and a munitions dump, Iraqi intelligence officials claimed the Paris attacks had been planned for them locations hit.
The actions of the French state did little to allay fears amongst the general public. Almost all bars, restaurants and shops were closed in Paris yesterday. A few people braved the City but expressed their concerns about the risk posed by immigrants from countries like Syria.
Antony, a Parisian marketing manager, said he planned to move to either London or New York as soon as he could make the arrangements. “Paris is just not safe anymore, the country has been ruined by people who should never have been allowed to come here in the first place,” he told Townhall.com. He continued: “The worst thing now would be if other countries like America followed our lead."
The British Foreign Office warned its citizens not to travel around Paris unless it was absolutely necessary. A petition on the government's own website demanding the closure of the British borders to refugees from the Muslim world has now been signed by 400,000 people.
The petition reads: “In February 2015 Dr Shea, Nato’s Deputy Assistant Secretary General for Emerging Security Challenges, warned there would be IS jihadists on the refugee boats. IS also threatened to flood Europe with 500,000 jihadists.
Allowing uncontrolled immigration and taking in these refugees potentially endangers the entire UK population. At any other time in our history this would be tantamount to a declaration of war and borders would be closed.”
So far both the UK and France are being required to take a quota of refugees, based on rules drawn up by the European Union.