After weeks of buildup, former FBI Director James Comey finally delivered his testimony in front of the Senate Intelligence Community.
Senators questioned him on everything from the New York Times’ bombshell report in February to the meaning of the word “hope.”
After nearly three hours of testimony, this is what the committee found out:
- President Trump did not ask Comey to drop the FBI Investigation into Russian involvement in the 2016 election, nor did any member of his administration. However, Comey claims Trump did ask him to drop (or rather Trump said he “hoped” he would drop) the investigation into now former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn.
- The New York Times February report that alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russian official was mostly false.
- Comey kept detailed notes of all his meetings with Trump because he was “concerned he might lie” about them afterwards.
- Comey leaked his own memos to the press (well, technically, he asked his friend, Columbia Law Professor Daniel Richman to do it).
- Former Attorney General Loretta Lynch demanded Comey call the probe into then Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton a "matter" instead of a criminal investigation…and he didn’t push back.
In short, Comey’s hearing didn’t exactly turn out the way Democrats had hoped. Here are five cartoons that perfectly sum up what went down…or rather what didn’t.
There’s your “smoking gun,” folks.
by Bob Gorrell 6/08/2017
Unfortunately for Democrats, Comey never pulled the pin.
by Glenn McCoy 6/07/2017
Going home empty-handed.
by Lisa Benson 6/08/2017
We’ll take the nothing-burger with a side of liberal tears, please.
by Lisa Benson 6/07/2017
That’s an understatement.
by Gary Varvel 6/08/2017