A new video produced by the California Federation of Teachers – which could be playing in your child’s classroom as we speak – drums up the typical class warfare images we’ve come to expect from Big Labor.
“Tax the Rich: An Animated Fairy Tale,” written by CFT staffer Fred Glass (2011 compensation: $139,800) and narrated by proud leftist actor (and 1 percenter) Ed Asner, advocates for higher taxes on the “rich” as the cure for government’s insatiable thirst for spending.
The video claims the rich got rich through tax cuts and tax loopholes and even tax evasion.
But when the 99 percent fought back, the “rich” apparently urinated on the “poor,” at least according to the video. What a classy way to frame your argument for children, Big Labor.
The video also claims that when the housing market crashed, the government printed money for “rich people” but they didn’t give any to “ordinary people whose houses and jobs were broken by the crash.”
That’s a patently a false statement, as evidenced by a handy-dandy chart courtesy of the New York Times. Here’s a sampling of what was contained in President Obama’s $787 billion stimulus package:
• Help states prevent cuts to essential services like education - $53.6 billion
• Extend and increase unemployment compensation - $35.8 billion
• Health coverage under Cobra - $25.1 billion
• Increase food assistance - $20.9 billion
• Increase the maximum Pell Grant by $500 - $15.6 billion
• Provide cash payment to seniors, disabled veterans and other needy individuals - $14.4 billion
• Provide additional money to schools serving low-income children - $13 billion
• Provide additional money for special education - $12.2 billion
• Create new bonds for improvements in public education - $10.9 billion
And the list goes on and on.
The California Federation of Teachers’ video is little more than unsurprising leftist propaganda, aimed to indoctrinate children with no basis in fact. Do you know if your child is watching it in school?
And with his compensation of $139,800, we wonder who Fred Glass is urinating on.