A good pair of boots: The Courteney Boot Company of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe has crafted classic hunting boots for the last 120 years that are tough, durable, comfortable and great looking. They smack of romance and adventure. Boot companies don’t make them like this anymore, period. This line is a product of the African bush; it’s a rough shoe made of raw game hides; it has an outward-flanged construction; the upper is sewn to the sole and insole to create an extremely comfortable weatherproof boot, impervious to bush thorns, the bite of snakes and insects, and the harsh terrain. It is a highly individual, comfortable and practical boot.
A nice rifle: A great rifle for the serious hunter on your list is the Ruger #1 single shot. The Ruger #1 sets the standard for American-made single-shot rifles. Its chambering runs from the diminutive .204 Ruger to the stonking 450/400 Nitro Express. With the #1 you can find the configuration that is best for you—or you can collect them all. The marksman who owns a #1 rifle values high-quality American craftsmanship, has pride of ownership, and demands reliable, accurate performance. The #1 delivers all of the aforementioned in a sleek, beautiful package that’ll make you the envy of the campfire.
A great knife: The Folding Damascus Knife by J. L. Powell is inspired by old English shotguns with damascus barrels. JLP commissioned British knife maker Purdey to build them a knife entirely of damascus steel: “Whether you’re carving up a stick or that grouse for dinner, you’ll want your grandkids to have this locking three-inch blade at some point.”
A few good books:
1. The Holy Bible. Spend the cash and get your man an exclusive calfskin Bible from LeatherBibles.com. LeatherBibles.com has re-bound a series of limited edition Bibles in their finest calfskin. This calfskin matches the leather on the Signature Series Bibles and the Thompson Chain Reference calfskins. These Bibles are exclusive to LeatherBibles.com and cannot be purchased outside of their official sites. They are not carried in stores. A Bible is a great gift, especially in these epic times. Build your life on the Rock of the Word of God.
Speaking of Jesus, for a stocking stuffer get your man my WWJW power band. My “Who Would Jesus Whip?” power band reminds the believer that sometimes it's okay to get a whip and clear the punks. This wristband will keep your man from rolling up in the fetal position and wetting his big Christian diaper when he sees egregious stuff hammering the church, our families and our nation. It’s available only at
3. Eric Metaxas’ book, Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
4. Oliver North’s American Heroes in Special Operations. Oliver North, NYT best-selling author and combat-decorated Marine, spotlights in this amazing book the world of shadow warriors, introducing readers to the brave, noble work of Navy Seals, Rangers, and Green Berets in American Heroes in Special Operations. From the sands of Iraq to the mountains of the Hindu Kush, North relays insider stories and full-color photographs that depict soul-stirring missions, hidden victories, and desperate fights against impossible odds. Yet for these faithful, inspiring patriots, it's “all in a day's work.” No wimpy, “America Sucks,” Bradley Manning, WikiLeak, or Lady Gaga gunk here, ladies and gents.
1. Cigars: La Gloria Cubana Serie R Belicoso. I believe it was Winston Churchill who said, “If you’re going to smoke a cigar, make it a long and strong one.” The Serie R fits that bill. Renowned for its big ring gauges and full-flavored taste profile, La Gloria Cubana Serie R Belicoso is one of El Credito’s best-selling smokes. As far as I’m concerned, this cigar’s superb flavor and construction captures a place in the Smoker’s Hall of Fame with tenured aficionados who know what they’re doing.
2. Johnny Walker Blue Label: Johnnie Walker Blue Label is the pinnacle whisky of the Striding Man Society®. It is the epitome of blending. Formulated to reflect the style of whiskies in the early 19th century, it’s created using some of their rarest casks from the Johnnie Walker stocks, the largest in the world. The character of Blue Label is truly unique; it is complex, powerful, incredibly smooth and retains the Johnnie Walker signature smokiness.
Merry Christmas, gentlemen!