Judge Blocks VA Dems' Insane Congressional Map
The Atlantic Was Fooled by Its Reporter’s Fictional Report, and Jen Psaki Defies...
The Democrats' New Plan for the Midterms Is Crazy
Abigail Spanberger's Raising Taxes, So Boeing Is Fleeing Virginia
NC Police Confirm Republican Candidate Was Target of Drive-By Shooting
Ohio Bill Offers Real Solution to Suicides by Gun
Tucker Carlson Claims He Was Detained and Interrogated in Israel, but That's Not...
Chinese National Convicted in $2.2M Gift Card Scheme
Stolen Ambulance Rammed into DHS Building in Utah
Leftist Policies Might Drive Chicago Bears to Indiana
Trump Gives Iran 10–15 Days to Strike Deal or Face ‘Unfortunate’ Consequences
Trump Gives Strongest Backing Yet to Georgia's Mike Collins
Former Corsa Coal VP Convicted in $140M Egyptian Bribery Scheme
Optum Director Convicted for Ghost Employee Kickbacks Over $1.2M
Nigerian National Extradited, Sentenced to 8 Years in Attempted $8M Tax Refund Scheme
Tipsheet

Surprise: Obama Admnistration Slow Walking Investigation Into Iran Holding U.S. Sailors Hostage

Surprise: Obama Admnistration Slow Walking Investigation Into Iran Holding U.S. Sailors Hostage

Arizona Senator John McCain is threatening to subpoena ten U.S. sailors who were recently held captive by the Iranians. The reason? The Obama administration is reportedly slow walking the investigation into the incident and may not release an expected report by a Senate deadline of March 1. More from Reuters

Advertisement
U.S. Republican Senator John McCain said on Sunday he would subpoena 10 U.S. sailors to testify about their brief detention by Iran if the Obama administration does not provide the findings of an investigation into the incident by March 1.

"It's an option that I do not want to exercise," McCain, who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee, told reporters as he was returning to the United States from an international security conference in Germany.

McCain said he had been told the sailors were still being debriefed, but added that he assumed that administration members were "dragging their feet" in completing an investigation into the incident, which he accused Iran of exploiting for propaganda purposes.

"I guarantee you, if they don't have a debrief by the first of March like they said, we'll have a hearing and we'll subpoena. We're not going to wait any longer," McCain said. "We will subpoena the individuals if we have to."

U.S. sailors were taken captive in January by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard for reportedly straying into Iranian controlled waters after a mechanical problem. The sailors were held at gun point, forced to sit on their knees, stripped of their boots and forced to make an apology on video, which was then used as propaganda by the Iranians and sent out on state television. The use of photos or video taken of war prisoners for propaganda purposes is a violation of the Geneva Convention. After being stripped of her boots, the sole female soldier was forced to cover her head.

Advertisement

When the sailors were released after being held for 24 hours, the Obama administration, and Secretary of State John Kerry in particular, argued the situation was a diplomatic victory. Senate Republicans and many military leaders strongly disagree.

After the incident occurred, many questioned how the Revolutionary Guard was able to take U.S. sailors hostage in the first place. The report McCain is waiting on certainly could shed some light on what the new rules of engagement are with Iran now that the U.S. has a nuclear deal signed and as the Iranians bring in billions of dollars in new business from Europe. 

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement