Congress has supposedly banned earmarks. However, since the ban, billions of dollars in pet projects were added in the fiscal year 2011 budget which was just finalized last month. Earmarks exemplify government’s inability to prioritize and live within its means, and no project is more emblematic of this out-of-control spending than the alternate engine for the Joint Strike Fighter.
Designed to create an affordable substitute for current jet fighters, the Joint Strike Fighter is heralded as the future of fighter jets. The jet is presently equipped with an F-135 engine developed by the Connecticut based company, Pratt & Whitney. In 1996, Congress decided that they were not satisfied with the Pratt & Whitney design and appropriated $7 million to pay General Electric/Rolls Royce for an alternate engine. The Pentagon agreed and requested funding for the program from 1997 until 2006.
In 2007, the Pentagon decided that an additional engine was no longer necessary and ended funding for the program. Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense William Balderson said that the department was “very comfortable” with the current engine and that the F-135 was “performing very well.” Despite Balderson’s report, Congress decided to continue funding work on the engine.
President Obama also voiced his opposition to the program, highlighting the alternate engine as a prominent example of government waste. When speaking of the program, Obama said, “The Defense Department is already pleased with the engine it has. The engine it has works. The Pentagon does not want and does not plan to use the alternative version.” Both Defense Secretary Robert Gates and former President George W. Bush have also openly criticized the program.
Despite the bi-partisan agreement that the alternative engine is a waste of money, Congress continued pumping taxpayer dollars into the program. In fact, the engine has received $1.2 billion in earmarks from 2004 to 2010. The total cost of the alternate engine is expected to eclipse $3 billion.
This March, in response to the continued funding, the Department of Defense released a stop work order on the engine. The order declared the expenditure of $1 million a day on an extra engine as “unneeded and wasteful.” With all of the opposition to the project, and the Pentagon’s outright refusal to support the second engine, it is hard to imagine that this project would continue.
Clinton Foundation: Oh, We Made Additional $12-26 Million From Speeches Given By the Former First Family | Matt Vespa
Friday Document Dump: State Department Releases First Round of Clinton Emails (All 298 Of Them) | Katie Pavlich