While the horse race aspect of a campaign is fun to talk about, it's not the head-to-head numbers that really tell us the most about the state of a race. No doubt, the most interesting -- and telling -- thing to note from the new Zogy poll is that Obama seems to be losing support among what should be his strongest supporters:
- McCain gained 20% and Obama lost 16% among voters ages 18-29. Obama still leads that group, 49%-38%.
- Among women, McCain closed 10 points on Obama, who still leads by a 43%-38% margin.
- Obama has lost what was an 11% lead among Independents. He and McCain are now tied.
- Obama had some slippage among Democrats, dropping from 83% to 74%.
- Obama’s support among single voters dropped by 19%, and he now leads McCain, 51%-37%.
- Even with African-Americans and Hispanics, Obama shows smaller margins.