This whole Rudy Giuliani marrying his second cousin story has reminded me of the Simpsons episode where they reveal how Springfield and Shelbyville became two distinct cities:
- Jebediah Springfield: People, our search is over! On this site we shall build a new town where we can worship freely, govern justly, and grow vast fields of hemp for making rope and blankets.
- Shelb.: Yes, and marry our cousins.
- Jebediah: I was -- what are you talking about, Shelbyville? Why would we want to marry our cousins?
- Shelb.: Because they're so attractive. I, I thought that was the whole point of this journey.
- Jebediah: Absolutely not!
- Shelb.: I tell you, I won't live in a town that robs men of the right to marry their cousins.
- Jebediah: Well, then, we'll form our own town. Who will come and live a life devoted to chastity, abstinence, and a flavorless mush I call rootmarm?
- [the people divide between Jebediah and Shelbyville]