Georgia's Election Czar, Raffensperger, Will Have Court Ordered Observers Inside His Bunke...
It's Election Day. Don't Forget How Much Thomas Massie Sucks
Ken Paxton, John Cornyn Respond After Trump Makes Endorsement in Texas Senate Race
Federal Judge Bars ICE From Making Arrests in Immigration Courts
Cryin' Chuck Is Big Mad About Trump's $2 Billion Settlement
You Won't Believe What Graham Platner Admitted to Doing in Porta Potties
Scott Jennings Shamed the CNN Panel for Ignoring the Persecution of Christians
The Best of America: Hundreds of Patriots Attended Funeral for World War II...
President Trump Just Dropped His Endorsement in the Texas Senate Race
'My Gift to the United States:' President Trump Offers an Update on the...
Texas Court Rules Accused Stalker's Gun Ban Should Be Reconsidered
The Homeless Crisis in Los Angeles Is Even Worse Than You Think
Spencer Pratt Has the Perfect Response to Accusations That He Plans to Leave...
This California Gubernatorial Candidate Has Deep Ties to the Church of Scientology
Thomas Massie Sends Out Misleading Campaign Text With 2022 Trump Endorsement
Tipsheet
Premium

New Orleans Had Effective Anti-Vehicle Barriers. The Reason They Weren't Used Is Shocking.

New Orleans Had Effective Anti-Vehicle Barriers. The Reason They Weren't Used Is Shocking.
AP Photo/Gerald Herbert

Ahead of New Year’s Eve festivities, New Orleans law enforcement set up blockades on Bourbon Street, but the terrorist was able to maneuver around them and drive on the sidewalk to carry out his vehicular attack. As Townhall reported on Thursday, New Orleans was in the middle of replacing security bollards that would have prevented this from happening. They were expected to be finished in time for the Super Bowl. It turns out, however, that the city did have an effective mechanism for preventing attacks like the one Shamsud-Din Jabbar carried out on New Year’s Day. And the reason it wasn’t used is unbelievable. 

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, New Orleans Police Superintendent Anne Kirkpatrick said Bourbon Street was open again and the city had added additional protections, including Archer barriers “that would be preventive if someone had, or if this particular terrorist, went around up on the sidewalk.” These 700-lb steel barriers, which are certified by the Department of Homeland Security, are reusable, portable, and designed to stop a vehicle speeding toward pedestrians. In fact, they have already proven to work during a similar incident last year at the Rose Parade in California. 

So why didn’t they go up for NYE? Kirkpatrick admitted to reporters the city had them all along she just didn’t know about them. 

New Orleans bought the Archer barriers in 2017 from Meridian Rapid Defense Group, which manufactures them, according to Peter Whitford, the company’s CEO. He confirmed that the barriers that appeared on Bourbon Street on Thursday looked the same as the ones from eight years ago.  

“They bought them from us and I don’t know where they were on that day — so I can’t answer that question,” he said of the New Year’s Day attack. 

The barriers helped protect central New Orleans during the Mardi Gras parade in 2017, according to a news release Meridian put out that year. “Painted a festive canary yellow, the barriers allowed free pedestrian flow and emergency vehicle access, through the streets while providing a solid perimeter to unwanted vehicles,” the release said. (NBC News)

When pressed whether she was upset she was unaware of the Archers, Kirkpatrick said "this is not a matter of pointing blame anywhere." 

"A terrorist is hell-bent on destruction," she added. "This man was going to do his best, and if it hadn’t been on Bourbon, he was going to go somewhere else,” she said. “We have this. We’re going to implement it. End of story.”

 

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement