The GOP’s Midterm Reversal of Fortune
The Reactions the Tina Peters' Clemency Have Been Off the Rails...and This Dem...
UK PM Reportedly Keir Starmer About to Resign, But There's a Catch
This C-Span Caller Said He Regretted Voting for Trump. Here's the Problem
ESPN Host Couldn't Let This Caller Get Away With This Swipe at Conservatives
When Rich Liberals Beg
Southern California Homeowners Are Being Asked to Search Their Properties for Hidden Camer...
The NHS Is About to Get Slammed With Discrimination Claims Following Tribunal's Ruling
Italian Officials Are Now Saying Yesterday's Car Attack Wasn't Terrorism, but This Instead
Prominent Jewish Leaders Call for a Boycott of Zohran Mamdani, Citing Surging Antisemitism
Israel Has Intercepted Another 'Humanitarian' Flotilla Headed Toward Gaza
Here's Why a Female Police Officer in Norfolk Was Suspended From Her Job
Social Security Is Earned—and Washington Must Protect It
Book Review: Douglas Brunt’s The Lost Empire of Emanuel Nobel
Bay Area Report on ICE Raids Is Peak Elite Cope
Tipsheet

Dem Senator Claims White House Economic Adviser Faked Bad Connection to End Trump Call

Dem Senator Claims White House Economic Adviser Faked Bad Connection to End Trump Call

In what was certainly one of the stranger exchanges on cable news Wednesday, Democratic Sen. Tom Carper (DE) claimed on CNN that White House economic adviser Gary Cohn followed his advice and faked a bad connection to get off the phone with President Trump earlier this month.

Advertisement

The discussion, Carper claimed, was over tax reform.

According to Carper, 30 minutes into the meeting, Cohn got a call from Trump in Asia, which Carper said was "nice," but he said, "15 minutes later, the president's still talking."

"I said, ‘Gary, why don't you do this? Take your cell phone back and just say, Mr. President, you're brilliant, but we're losing contact and I think we're going to lose you now, so good-bye,'" Carper said. "And that's what he did and he hung up, and then we went back to having the kind of conversation that we needed to, where they asked good questions looking for consensus … I think we identified a little bit."

A surprised Poppy Harlow and John Berman asked Carper to confirm his story.

"I don't want to throw him under the bus, but yes," Carper said of Cohn.

Advertisement

Related:

PRESIDENT TRUMP

Asked to respond to Carper's claim, the White House vehemently denied it. 

White House deputy press secretary Raj Shah said in a statement to the Washington Free Beacon that the story was not true, however, stating Cohn spoke with Trump privately for several minutes before ending the call.

"Senator Carper’s claim is completely false," Shah said. "Gary Cohn took the phone off speaker and continued to speak with the President privately for several minutes before they concluded the call."

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement