Law Professor: Trump Administration Can Still Impose Tariffs Through Other Statutes
The Trump Team Got a Serious Briefing on the 2026 Midterms This Week....
The Trans Ice Rink Shooter Story Just Took a Wild Turn
DC Water CEO: 'We Had Too Many White Men in Charge'
Here's the One Word That Describes US Women's Hockey at the Winter Olympics...
Supreme Court Orders CNN to Respond
The Supreme Court Just Issued Their Ruling on President Trump's Tariffs
California Judge Orders Children's Hospital to Continue 'Gender-Affirming Surgeries' for M...
Susan Rice's Terrifying Vow If Democrats Take Back Power
To the Democrats' Dismay, the List of Hospitals Ending 'Gender-Affirming Surgeries' for Mi...
Democrats Go Blue in Profane Anti-Trump Illinois Senate Campaign Ad
The Democrats Just Picked the Worst Person to Give Their Response to the...
Wisconsin's Republican Assembly Speaker Robin Vos Will Not Seek Reelection
Calling the SAVE Act 'Jim Crow' Is an Insult to History
Republican Steve Hilton Surges to the Lead in California Gubernatorial Race
Tipsheet

Defense Secretary: American Troops Are Leaving Northern Syria And Heading to Western Iraq

Defense Secretary: American Troops Are Leaving Northern Syria And Heading to Western Iraq
AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster

Roughly 1,000 American troops that are being withdrawn from Syria will be relocated to western Iraq. From there, they will conduct operations to prevent the Islamic State's resurgence, Defense Secretary Mark Esper told reporters on Sunday.

Advertisement

Esper has not ruled out the idea of troops conducting counterterrorism operations from Iraq into Syria. He said that decision would be worked out in time, the Associated Press reported. 

The troops will have two missions in Iraq.

“One is to help defend Iraq and two is to perform a counter-ISIS mission as we sort through the next steps,” he said. “Things could change between now and whenever we complete the withdrawal, but that’s the game plan right now.”

As it currently stand, 5,000 American troops are currently deployed in Iraq, which stems from an agreement between the two countries. Troops were originally pulled out of Iraq when operations ended in 2011. They were redeployed in 2014 when the Islamic State began taking over large portions of the country. 

Esper made clear the withdrawal will take "weeks not days," allowing for a safe and deliberate transitions.

Trump took to Twitter Sunday morning to let Americans know what Esper told him:

Advertisement

Esper's comments come after President Donald Trump announced earlier this week that he would be withdrawing troops from northern Syria after a call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. In the call, Erdogan made clear his forces plan to invade Syria to push back Kurdish forces, known as the YPG, which Turkey deems terrorists. The YPG has been America's biggest ally in fighting the Islamic State. 

Trump has faced criticism for his decision from both sides of the aisle. His former Defense Secretary, James Mattis, voiced concerns about the Islamic State's resurgence should American troops be completely withdrawn from the area. 

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement