Dems' Rejoicing Over the Supreme Court Ruling on Trump's Tariffs Got Wrecked...by CNN?
'Out of Nowhere' Canadians Are Now Poorer Than Alabamians. The Reactions Have Been...
Student ‘ICE Out’ Protests Go Viral Across US – Now Schools are Taking...
Here's Why the US Is Losing Farms at an Alarming Rate
This State Is Getting Closer to Eliminating Property Taxes
‘Privileged, White, and Well-Off’? Canada’s MAiD Program Just Got Even More Disturbing
Feds Indict Six More in Venezuelan Gang's High-Tech ATM Heist – Total Hits...
Michigan Auto Dealer Management Firm Pays $1.5M to Settle PPP Fraud Claims
Here's How Mamdani's Snow Shoveling Program Is Reveals the Leftist Lie on Voter...
Toxic Chemical Poured on Trump-Kennedy Center Ice Rink, Performance Canceled
Lawmakers Probe Potomac River Sewage Spill
Ukrainian Man Ran 'Upworksell.com' to Sell Stolen Identities for Overseas IT Workers, Cour...
The DOJ Has Canned the Most Liberal Immigration Judge in America
Fake Immigration Law Firm Busted in Brooklyn Federal Indictment
It's True: Gavin Newsom's California Government Has Paid Protestors Over $100 Million
Tipsheet

House Passes Spending Bill, But It Has Its Share of Critics

House Passes Spending Bill, But It Has Its Share of Critics
AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais

While the ongoing impeachment saga consumes significant attention this week, the House of Representatives passed a spending package Tuesday afternoon. It had its share of critics, including a few Republicans.

Advertisement

Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX) also blasted the spending bills, which will avoid a government shutdown this week. He said that his staff only laid eyes on the legislation late Monday afternoon. The conservative congressman described it as “atrocious.”

“Days like today everyone declares bipartisanship. But in this version of bipartisanship it is the bipartisan smell of Christmas jet fumes and everyone’s desire to get home, fueling the worst kind of bipartisanship,” Rep. Roy declared during a speech. “The kind that says to heck with it, keep spending money we don’t have and leave it to our kids and grandkids to clean up. No one has read the bill. It’s a massive unreadable 2,313 page bill filled with government expanded goodies and spending and it was dropped on us yesterday afternoon at 4:30pm. My staff got their first look at 4:30.”

Advertisement

Related:

SPENDING BILL

Rep. Justin Amash (I-MI) also said he will vote against the legislation.

One part of the legislation would increase the legal age to buy tobacco products from 18 to 21-years-old, meaning that young Americans who are old enough to fight for their country would be prevented from purchasing tobacco products at a store. 

With the support of leaders in both parties, Congress is moving to approve a batch of year-end budget bills which contain a provision that will raise the minimum legal age to buy tobacco products from 18 to 21 years, a landmark legislative change which will include e-cigarettes and all vaping products.

 "It shall be unlawful for any retailer to sell a tobacco product to any person younger than 21 years of age," the bill states on page 1493, as the tobacco provision was stuffed into a broader package of year end funding measures for the federal government. (AJC)

Advertisement

The Military Times notes that there is not an exception for those serving in the military: “Nineteen states, the District of Columbia and Guam already ban tobacco sales to anyone under 21. The new law will apply to the rest of the country and all military bases.”

Some legislators support this measure. Senator Mitch McConnell who previously introduced the Tobacco-Free Youth Act with Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA) is one of those supporters: “U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) announced today that he successfully secured the Tobacco-Free Youth Act in the Fiscal Year 2020 government agreement,” a press release states.

Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway has indicated that President Trump plans to sign the spending measures. 

Conway noted to reporters that $1.375 billion in the legislation will go toward the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, which was one of Trump’s key 2016 campaign promises. That same issue triggered a shutdown at the end of last year which lasted for more than a month.

“A year after [Democrats] called it a manufactured crisis, the president is getting $1.375 billion for his wall, and they didn’t mess with his authorities at all,” Conway added. “There’s a lot of good stuff in there.” (The Epoch Times)

Advertisement

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement