After drawing some pretty ‘yuge’ crowds at his campaign events, Donald Trump wondered why he wasn’t receiving Secret Service protection, a courtesy extended to President Obama by this point in the 2008 presidential cycle.
In an interview with The Hill earlier this week the Republican frontrunner joked that it was a partisan decision.
“They’re in no rush because I’m a Republican,” Trump said.
Now, however, it seems the government will be offering a security detail of roughly two dozen agents to both Mr. Trump and Dr. Ben Carson as early as next week, according to a Newsmax report.
Trump has relied on his private security detail to protect him on the campaign trail. He reportedly bolstered that security team after receiving a threat linked to the family of escaped Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman. Trump has been a critic of Mexico and immigration from that country.
Trump's son, Eric Trump, told Fox News's "Fox and Friends," in an interview on Friday that he wished his father had a security detail.
As a former first lady, Hillary Clinton has long had Secret Service protection.
A source told Newsmax that Carson had received a number of threats, calling them "off the charts."
Carson's campaign would not confirm or deny reports that he was slated to receive Secret Service protection.
The report said that Carson was initially reluctant to accept a detail but relented when he was given intelligence about potential threats.
“It is widely believed ISIS would like to strike a major political target in the U.S.,” the source told Newsmax.
"There's mobs of people, and the energy, it's incredible," Eric Trump said commenting on his father’s security. "But it really only takes one."