As Americans cast their ballots, it's worthwhile to review the reasons why a vote for Trump isn't just advisable — it's essential.
For one thing, if Biden wins, America and our democracy face unprecedented peril.
If Biden wins:
- Our Supreme Court will be packed, and it will thus cease to serve its intended function as a check on executive and legislative power. Our Constitution will be nullified in all but name.
- Our borders, only recently secured by herculean efforts, will be flung open, and the days of massive caravans of “refugees” arriving in this country will return.
- Trump's efforts to renegotiate our trading relationships with countries like China will be abandoned, and the “giant sucking sound” of U.S. jobs heading overseas will grow ever louder.
- The culture wars will be won by the Left, and our heritage and reputation will be trashed, and all memory of the Founders erased.
- Our considerable progress erasing the stain of racism will be ignored, and racial grievances will be nursed unrelentingly, leading to acrimony and violence.
- Masking will be mandated, and punitive lockdowns will permanently destroy whole industries.
- Trillions in new spending will be authorized to fund the “Green New Deal” and a host of new entitlement programs, driving the U.S. ever closer to financial collapse and undermining the solvency of Social Security and Medicare.
- Government control over health care will expand, taking us closer to “socialized medicine”.
- Law enforcement, deprived of funding and respect, will cease to protect the American people from a rising tide of crime and violence. Meanwhile, the justice system will become a tool for enforcing progressive orthodoxy.
- Abortion on demand, up to the moment of birth (and conceivably beyond), will be enshrined as a “human right”, and millions more lives will be lost.
- “Assault weapons” will be banned and confiscated, and before we know it everything from air rifles to flare guns will be redefined as “assault weapons”.
- Freedom of conscience will be denied to people of faith, who will be expected to fall in line and endorse political correctness...or else.
- Efforts to promote election integrity will be declared “unconstitutional” and abandoned, and ballots will be sent willy-nilly to everyone, guaranteeing Democrats permanent political control.
- Taxes will be raised, regulations expanded, and the American dollar debased in an orgy of spending, triggering a recession or a depression.
- Left-wing control over the press, broadcasters, and social media will ensure that any expression of dissent will quickly be labeled “hate speech” or “disinformation”, and it will be promptly censored and the offending parties exiled from the public sphere.
Plainly, therefore, a vote for Trump is essential, because a win by the Biden-Harris ticket means a lurch towards socialism, authoritarianism, anti-Americanism, intolerance, and social engineering.
A vote for Trump is thus an essential civic duty for all Americans, but I would like to suggest an additional reason why a vote for Trump is a moral imperative as well.
Donald Trump, the 45th President of the United States, was duly elected by the American people to serve them and to “Make America Great Again”. Despite this, he has been subjected, for four years, to an unprecedented and shameless campaign of calumny, sabotage, and vilification. No political leader in the history of our country has ever endured more hostile treatment by the media, by the cultural elite, by our education system, and even by the bureaucracy and the “Deep State”. Not only has Trump himself been targeted since day one for personal and political destruction, but so have his family members and, increasingly, even his supporters. The well of visceral Trump-hatred in this country has proved bottomless.
Confronted by this granite wall of opposition, it would have been very easy for President Trump to throw up his hands and say, “Enough!” He could have retreated to the White House basement, à la Biden, and forsaken his duties. He could have resigned the presidency and returned to a comfortable existence as a real estate tycoon. He could have hopped on Air Force One, fled the horrors of the Beltway, and parked himself on a pristine beach in the Caribbean, never to darken America's door again.
President Trump could have done any of these things, and in doing so he would have spared himself and his loved ones much grief and pain. But he didn't. Donald Trump — patriot, warrior, and paragon of American grit that he is — chose instead to stand up to the vast and vicious forces arrayed against him. He chose to fight the good fight, and to lead America in the direction of freedom, strength, growth, and, most of all, self-respect. He loved his country and his countrymen enough to weather the storm of Trump-hatred, and to leave no stone unturned in the effort to make America into a better version of itself.
The best reason of all to vote for President Trump on November 3rd, therefore, is this: he has, against the odds and against his own interests, never stopped fighting for you. Now, duty, honor, and decency compel you to do likewise. You must fight for him.
Dr. Nicholas L. Waddy is an Associate Professor of History at SUNY Alfred and blogs at: www.waddyisright.com. He appears weekly on the Newsmaker Show on WLEA 1480/106.9.
Join the conversation as a VIP Member