Email, Hate Mail and Comments from Readers

John Ransom
|
Posted: Mar 26, 2011 12:16 AM

It’s the weekend. And nothing says “week-end” more than answering a week of endless inquiries from our readers ;-).

So here’s a glance at the email, hate mail and comments we’ve accumulated over the week:

John wrote: “And get rid of those damn Czars ! They cause more trouble than people ever realize!” in response to Kudlow’s column Cantor's Pro-Growth Call.

Dear John,

Yes. Ever since Peter the Great, the czars have all been downhill. But I mean come on, Peter was Great. What do you expect after that? Peter the Greater?

Ok. So you, like the rest of us have problems with Obama having so many czars. Actually though, when you are Unionizing for America, you need a lot of workers to stand around and drink coffee. Some of them will be czars. So the strategy from that perspective makes sense.

Also, with all the vacation days Obama takes, you have to leave someone in charge.

Plus I understand that Eric Holder and the DoJ just filed suit to get Obama more vacation days.  I say we help him.

Kevin wrote: “The middle class will not exist without unions. Big business just doesn't want to pay good wages or give out benefits so the only way for workers to protect themselves is to unionize” in response to my column UAW Plans Suicide Bombing of Economy.

Dear Kevin,

Actually there has been a big middle class in the US since way before unions existed. That’s why America was called the Land of Opportunity. Is it your theory that waves of immigrants have come to the US over the centuries because they wanted to be exploited by big-time capitalists?  

Fact is that studies show that as union membership declined wages and benefits have stayed the same, at about 70 percent of corporate revenues more or less.

The problem is that studies that claim the contrary don’t take into account the increased benefits that companies pay workers, say our friends at Heritage.  

If you really care about wages in our country- and, oh by the way, human rights- you'll demand that we start enforcing our immigration laws. It's an outrage the the federal government has created an underclass in this country by not enforcing our laws.       

TVC15 wrote: “My idea about war is that it requires large scale ground troops in enemy territory. Since that has not yet occurred with Obama's Gadhafi experience, I say it is not a war” in response to my column NPR: We Are Not At War With Libya.

Dear TVC,

Yeah. And Hitler was “invited” into Austria.

There are two separate problems with your argument: facts and logic.

War has never been defined by the numbers of troops engaged, but by the actual use of force. I don’t necessarily agree with Clausewitz’ description of war as politics by “other means”- the “other means” being force- but in this case it works, at least in the Western sense of the word war.

My guess, though, is that Gadhafi, like Saddam and Al Qaeda, will define war very differently than you do with your quaint notions.       

Barry1817 wrote: “When Obama is replaced in 2012, and the new president says that he inherited the mess, bet the press won't let that comment fly for more than 2 years,” in response to my column B.O. Fails Smell Test.

Dear Barack, err, Barry,

That just makes it sound like you're bragging.

Ok. I know that you're not THAT Barry.

Two years? The press won’t let it fly for two minutes. Geraldo Rivera will be on TV wondering why we don’t have full employment before the inaugural address is finished.

Can anyone, please explain to me Geraldo Rivera or Jesse Jackson, Sr.? Bueller? Bueller? 

Each- including Bueller- is from Chicago.    

F.B.J. wrote: “Your mother failed the smell test,” in response to my column B.O. Fails Smell Test.

Dear FBJ,

Thanks. My mother is dead. Of course she failed the smell test. Duh.

Civility anyone?

Ethan wrote: “Where is the big-time media one this issue?” in response to my column Murder, the Chicago Way.

Ethan,

They are apparently busy cutting class at the Civility Institute.

Actually, the Chicago Sun Times and local NBC 5 have done good work exposing the bumbling police work on the case.

They are to be applauded.

That's it for this week.

Enjoy your week-end, and we'll see you for the opening bell on Monday.