House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) released the names of five Democrats Wednesday who will join the Republican-led investigation on the U.S. Embassy attack in Benghazi, Libya.
The following Democratic Members will serve on the Select Committee on Benghazi:
- Elijah E. Cummings (D-MD), Ranking Member, Committee on Oversight & Government Reform
- Adam Smith (D-WA), Ranking Member, Armed Services Committee
- Adam B. Schiff (D-CA), Committee on Appropriations (Subcommittee on State & Foreign Operations), Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Linda T. Sánchez (D-CA), Committee on Ways and Means (Subcommittee on Oversight)
- Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Armed Services Committee, Committee on Oversight & Government Reform
Pelosi previously demanded Democrats be present on the committee to ensure fairness.
"That simply would not be possible if we left it to the Republicans," Pelosi stated Wednesday.
However, her true thoughts on the investigation came out more clearly on her Twitter feed:
The Select Committee is a shameful attempt to politicize the Benghazi tragedy. That is why Dems must participate—to stand up for the truth.— Nancy Pelosi (@NancyPelosi) May 21, 2014
Directly after being announced as the Democrat ranking member in the committee, Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-MD) also trivialized the group's efforts.
"I do not believe a select committee is called for," Cummings stated. He claimed many of the alleged questions have already been uncovered in previous reports.
I agreed to participate for two reasons: first as Ranking Member of the Oversight Committee, and I've seen how abusive the GOP has been.— Elijah E. Cummings (@RepCummings) May 21, 2014