A coalition of pro-life advocates penned a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, voicing concerns about protecting the unborn during COVID-19:
“While we are in a hectic race to save lives, Planned Parenthood and other powers in the abortion industry remain insistent on taking the lives of innocent unborn children. While surgery centers postpone elective and diagnostic procedures, abortion centers are churning out surgical and chemical abortions and putting women, especially the poor, at risk. Their continued operation depletes sorely needed personal protective equipment and leads to complications that will further overwhelm already overextended emergency rooms,” the letter reads.
The letter was signed by leadership of high-profile pro-life groups, including the Susan B. Anthony List, Charlotte Lozier Institute, Life Issues Institute, National Right to Life, Family Research Council, Concerned Women for America, March for Life, Heritage Action, American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Students for Life, Live Action and others.
The letter also pushes Secretary Azar and other health officials to combat the abortion industry’s agenda:
The abortion industry is compounding one crisis with another. Therefore, we urge public officials to use their broad emergency authority to safeguard against the extreme abortion agenda by:
• Ensuring that emergency response funds are not diverted to the abortion industry;
• Urging the abortion industry to cease operations and join healthcare providers in donating their PPE and other equipment to coronavirus response;
• Ensure that telemedicine abortion is not expanded during the crisis and maintain FDA limits on dispensing of chemical abortion;
• Continue actions to stop illegal mail-order sale of chemical abortion; and
• Promote medically accurate and supportive information for women that counters the inaccurate and exploitative messaging coming from an abortion industry all too happy to use the current pandemic to scare women and families into abortion.
Indeed, pro-abortion groups have used COVID-19 to push their agenda:
Abortion care is essential. Full stop. https://t.co/aJFJGbmRSb— NARAL (@NARAL) March 22, 2020
Abortion is essential for people’s health and wellbeing. That’s why clinic doors are staying open. https://t.co/lv55KmompW— NARAL (@NARAL) March 22, 2020
Planned Parenthood vowed to keep their doors open during COVID-19, despite the national consensus to prohibit all elective surgeries during this pandemic.