Well, a few weeks ago, loss of smell and taste was seen as a possible symptom of the Wuhan coronavirus. Now, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has officially designated as something to look out for as the US deals with this viral outbreak that’s killed over 50,000 people. No, we’re not leading the world in deaths from this disease; that’s Chinese propaganda. China, by far, leads the world in deaths, though we may never know the true number. The fact that they rolled in incinerators is all you need to know about the death toll there.
For the most part, fever, cough, and difficulty breathing were the three main symptoms of COVID-19. Now, more flu-like symptoms have been added to the list (via NPR):
[CDC] has now added six more conditions that may come with the disease: chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat and new loss of taste or smell.
The expanded symptoms list could prove important because with a limited number of test kits available, typically those seeking a test must first show symptoms.
There is anecdotal evidence for some of those newly listed symptoms. NPR and other news outlets reported last month that loss of smell and taste were reported by some people with COVID-19. Patients with the disease caused by the coronavirus have also reported muscle pain, chills and headache.
The incubation period is still the same, being anywhere from 2-14 days. This is still a highly contagious disease, with one infected person spreading it to at least two-to-three other people on average, more than the seasonal flu. Yet, some preliminary antibody tests show that hordes of people, far exceeding the number of total US-based Wuhan coronavirus cases, may have already had the virus. In New York City, ground zero for the US-based outbreak, the number of deaths has dipped below 400 for the first time, a clear sign showing that the Big Apple is on the backend of this curve (via Fox News):
Though “horrific,” the 367 deaths were less than half the nearly 800 deaths recorded at the height of the coronavirus crisis in the state's hospitals, Cuomo said during a press briefing.
“To put it in focus, that would normally be terrible news,” the governor said. “It’s only not terrible news compared to where we were. This is just terrible news, 367 deaths, which is horrific. And there is no relative context to death. Death is death; 367 people passed.”
Gov. Andrew Cuomo has said that the “worst” is over. That looks like it’s the case, which means we can start looking to preliminary actions to re-opening, albeit very slowly, especially in the Tri-State area.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo largely attributed the decline in deaths to the efforts of New Yorkers adhering to social distancing, saying his role was to provide "facts" to New Yorkers who were willing to act responsibly. https://t.co/CcMZu5YaGy— NPR (@NPR) April 27, 2020
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said 367 people died from the virus Saturday in his state — less than half of the daily number at the height of the outbreakhttps://t.co/ti3e3QVvEQ— MPR News (@MPRnews) April 26, 2020
Editor's Note: Want to support Townhall so we can keep telling the truth about China and the virus they unleashed on the world? Join Townhall VIP and use the promo code WUHAN to get 25% off VIP membership!