Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) has found a new enemy: The Electoral College. The freshman Democrat appears to be taking a break from defending her anti-Semitic colleagues, pushing the Green New Scam, and other socialist policies to bash an institution that’s become the latest subject of rage for Democrats who simply cannot let the 2016 election go. In our history, there have only been five times where the winner has won the Electoral College but lost the popular vote. And yet, we’re still here. And let’s use the word “lost” loosely for 2016; Clinton didn’t break 50 percent in that category either. Well, let’s to the reasons why AOC hates this institution (via The Hill):
Ocasio-Cortez made her argument on … an Instagram story that includes her driving along a deserted highway and quipping, "many votes here, as you can see."
Very efficient way to choose leadership of the country. I mean I can’t think of any other way, can you?" Ocasio-Cortez says, before going on to cite a report from New York Magazine that argues the defenses of the system that determines the winner of presidential elections are flawed.
The freshman lawmaker said the Electoral College is a "scam" that has a "racial injustice breakdown" undermining the votes of people of color.
"Due to severe racial disparities in certain states, the Electoral College effectively weighs white voters over voters of color, as apposed to a 'one person, one vote' system where all our votes are counted equally," she says, before pushing back against the argument that eliminating the Electoral College would give big states too much power.
I see Fox News is big mad about abolishing the electoral college.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
So let’s talk about it.
1) If the GOP were the “silent majority” they claim, they wouldn’t be so scared of a popular vote.
They *know* they aren’t the majority. They rely on establishing minority rule for power.
2) This common claim about “if we don’t have the Electoral College then a handful of states will determine the presidency” is BS.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
a. It’s the *EC itself* that breaks down power by state, pop vote decentralizes it
b. The EC makes it so a handful of states DO determine elections
3) LASTLY, this concept that the Electoral College is provides “fairness” to rural Americans over coastal states doesn’t hold any water whatsoever. First of all, virtually every state has rural communities. NY. California. Much of our states are rural.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
But very importantly...
4) We do not give electoral affirmative action to any other group in America. Do Black Americans have their votes count more bc they have been disenfranchised for 100s of years? Do Reservations get an electoral vote? Does Puerto Rico and US territories get them? No. They don’t.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
5) The Electoral College isn’t about fairness at all; it’s about empowering some voters over others.— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) August 23, 2019
Every vote should be = in America, no matter who you are or where you come from. The right thing to do is establish a Popular Vote. & GOP will do everything they can to fight it.
Yeah, first of all, anytime you try to retroactively apply political correctness—you’re going off the cliff. Second, Democrats need to stop bashing the Electoral College when they lose—you’re not entitled to win elections. Third, the 2016 election was winnable. You all know this. The Democrats could’ve easily beaten Trump, but their people stayed home. With Hillary Clinton on the ticket, there was just no excitement really. None. Just compare the results from 2012 and 2016 in Wayne County, Michigan (Detroit)—it’s quite stark and decisive. All Clinton had to do was match Obama’s totals and she would’ve won. All she had to do was not tell coal miners that her mission would be to throw them on the street. All she had to do was reach out to rural and working-class voters—she didn’t. when you don’t do the leg work—you only have yourself to blame. As someone mentioned on social media year ago when the first Democratic tantrums rolled were thrown, we elect our president based on geographic diversity. Trump won the Rust Belt. He won white working-class voters, the middle class, and secured enough support in key areas, like Buck County, PA, to win the presidency. Millions of Democrats crossed over because he had a message of job creation, economic growth, stronger national defense, support for law enforcement, and better trade deals. Clinton was all about more government. The Electoral College isn’t a scam. Thus far, it’s worked out quite well for us as a nation and losing an election is a terrible reason to detonate any institution.
Dear Imbecile,— RBe (@RBPundit) August 25, 2019
What part of the United STATES do you not understand?
Everyone’s vote is equal... IN THEIR STATE.
We DO NOT HAVE national elections. It’s BY STATE, you mental midget. https://t.co/MbM0w74Yq4