Republicans have come to realize that we were put in charge by the American People to be fiscally responsible and tighten the budget -- and voters felt like we didn't do that and thus we lost elections in 2006 and 2008. Now the Democrats want to do the same thing: grow the size of government with runaway spending. Guess what, the American people are rejecting this. To hear them rail against the spending of the Bush Administration to turn around and do the same thing is the irony of all ironies. At least the majority of George W. Bush's spending was to keep us safe fighting wars, the Democrats just want to add appropriations without going through the appropriations process. As John Cornyn (R-TX) said this morning on FOX News Sunday, "This bill is not an economic document, it's a political document."
• $448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
• $88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.
• $75 million for "smoking cessation activities.
• $25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.
• $5.5 million for "energy efficiency initiatives" at the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration.
just to name a few...