The GOP’s Midterm Reversal of Fortune
The Reactions the Tina Peters' Clemency Have Been Off the Rails...and This Dem...
UK PM Reportedly Keir Starmer About to Resign, But There's a Catch
This C-Span Caller Said He Regretted Voting for Trump. Here's the Problem
ESPN Host Couldn't Let This Caller Get Away With This Swipe at Conservatives
When Rich Liberals Beg
Here's Why a Female Police Officer in Norfolk Was Suspended From Her Job
Social Security Is Earned—and Washington Must Protect It
There Are Enemies and Then There Are Enemies
Book Review: Douglas Brunt’s The Lost Empire of Emanuel Nobel
Where Eagles Dare
Louisiana Voters Reject Cassidy and His Costly Healthcare Policies
Bay Area Report on ICE Raids Is Peak Elite Cope
Dear Mr. President, the (College) Kids Are Not Alright
Weaponizing Children: Teachers' Unions Cancelling Class for Political Protest
Tipsheet
Premium

Cuban Coast Guard Kills Four, Injures Six on Florida-Registered Speed Boat

Cuban Coast Guard Kills Four, Injures Six on Florida-Registered Speed Boat
AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa

The Cuban coast guard shot and killed four people and injured six others aboard a Florida‑registered speedboat on Wednesday, after Cuban officials said the vessel entered the island’s territorial waters. 

Cuban authorities claim their forces were “safeguarding their sovereignty” when they opened fire, alleging that the speedboat’s occupants fired first as the vessel approached within about one nautical mile of the Cuban coast. They also said that the 10 people aboard were Cuban nationals living in the United States.

According to reports, the 10 passengers sought to topple the Cuban regime, as Havana argued the group planned a "terrorist infiltration" and all had criminal histories.

Cuban authorities identified two of the men as Amijail Sánchez González and Leordan Enrique Cruz Gómez, who were wanted by the Cuban government for “the promotion, planning, organization, financing support or commission” of terrorism. Duniel Hernández Santos, who was also arrested, claimed he had been sent by the U.S. to “guarantee the reception of the armed infiltration.”

Aboard the Florida vessel, Cuban soldiers seized assault rifles, handguns, Molotov cocktails, bulletproof vests, and camouflage gear.

The boat used in the incident was reported stolen, and the owner is not being considered a suspect at this time.

In response, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced that the U.S. will conduct its own investigation, refusing to take the communist government at its word and declaring that the United States will "find out exactly what happened and then we will respond accordingly."

This comes as the Trump administration has increased economic pressure on the Cuban regime, with officials reportedly indicating they aim to topple the government during Trump’s second term.

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement