Kash Patel Becomes the Focus of Media Analysis They Consistently Get Wrong
The Deplorable Treatment of Afghan Women Is a Glimpse Into Our Future
In Record Time, Voters Are Regretting Electing Socialist Mamdani
Steven Spielberg Flees California Before Its Billionaire Wealth Tax Fleeces Him
Oklahoma Bill Would Mandate Gun Safety Training in Public Schools
Here Is the Silver Lining to the Supreme Court's Tariff Ruling
CA Bends The Knee, Newsom Will Now Mandate English Proficiency Tests for Truck...
Guatemalan Citizen Admits Using Stolen Identity to Obtain Custody of Teen Migrant
Oregon-Based Utility PacifiCorp Settles for $575M Over Six Devastating Wildfires
Armed Man Rammed Substation Near Las Vegas in Apparent Terror Plot Before Committing...
DOJ Moves to Strip U.S. Citizenship from Former North Miami Mayor Over Immigration...
DOJ Probes Three Michigan School Districts That Allegedly Teach Gender Ideology
5th Circuit Vacates Ruling That Blocked Louisiana's Mandate to Display 10 Commandments in...
Kansas Engineer Gets 29 Months for $1.2M Kickback Scheme on Nuclear Weapons Projects
DOJ Files Antitrust Lawsuit Against Ohio Healthcare Company
Tipsheet

Trump Appointee Files First Lawsuit Against Biden Administration

Trump Appointee Files First Lawsuit Against Biden Administration
AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File

Before leaving office, President Donald Trump reappointed Roger Severino to the Council of the Administrative Conference of the United States (ACUS), where he is to carry out a three-year term. Severino received his commission on Jan. 16, just days before President Joe Biden was inaugurated. In a newly-filed lawsuit against the Biden administration, the Trump appointee claims he was threatened with termination from the board if he failed to resign, something Severino says is illegal.

Advertisement

"Yesterday, Mr. Severino received an email from Gautam Raghavan, the deputy director of the White House Presidential Personnel Office. The email was sent 'on behalf of President Biden,' and it asked Mr. Severino to resign from the Council by 5:00 p.m. today. Mr. Raghaven warned Mr. Severino that if he did not resign by that time, his 'appointment to the Council will be terminated,'" the lawsuit states. 

According to Severino and his team, the appointment is no Constitutional basis for the appointees removal.

"The statute governing ACUS provides that Mr. Severino’s term on the Council lasts for three years, and the statute makes no provision or allowance for at- will Presidential removal," the lawsuit reads.

Severino, who has been on the board since Aug. 2020, previously served as the head of the Health and Human Service's (HHS) Office of Civil Rights. In that role he was responsible for carrying out President Trump's socially conservative agenda, including protecting health care workers who objected to providing abortions and upholding religious liberty. 

Advertisement

According to the Trump appointee, the administration's move to get rid of him lacks the "unity" Biden has called for.

"President Biden's attempt to remove me contrary to law exposes his lofty promises of healing and uniting all Americans as nothing more than cynical manipulation," Severino said in a statement. "Because I am not one to be bullied, not even by the President himself, I will not resign my duly commissioned post and look forward to seeing how President Biden tries to justify his vindictive actions in court."

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement