President Donald Trump on Sunday tweeted that the federal government would no longer provide federal money to help with wildfires in California. According to the president, California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) has "done a terrible job of forest management" because of environmentalists.
The Governor of California, @GavinNewsom, has done a terrible job of forest management. I told him from the first day we met that he must “clean” his forest floors regardless of what his bosses, the environmentalists, DEMAND of him. Must also do burns and cut fire stoppers.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 3, 2019
..Every year, as the fire’s rage & California burns, it is the same thing-and then he comes to the Federal Government for $$$ help. No more. Get your act together Governor. You don’t see close to the level of burn in other states...But our teams are working well together in.....— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 3, 2019
Trump also slammed Newsom for the state's decision to divert water from the San Joaquin River to the Pacific Ocean as a means of protecting the Delta Smelt, an endangered species of fish.
....putting these massive, and many, fires out. Great firefighters! Also, open up the ridiculously closed water lanes coming down from the North. Don’t pour it out into the Pacific Ocean. Should be done immediately. California desperately needs water, and you can have it now!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 3, 2019
Newsom clapped back at the president, clearly blaming climate change on the state's massive wildfires.
You don’t believe in climate change. You are excused from this conversation. https://t.co/PSt8N39Er5— Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) November 3, 2019
There are currently 11 wildfires burning in California (from the Los Angeles Times):
• Kincade - 77,758 acres burned, burning for 11 days, 76 percent contained
• Taboose - 10,296 acres burned, burning for 58 days, 11 percent contained
• Maria - 9,412 acres burned, burning for 3 days, 50 percent contained
• Saddle Ridge - 8,799 acres burned, burning for 24 days, 97 percent contained
• South - 5,332 acres burned, burning for 59 days, 76 percent contained
• Getty - 745 acres burned, burning for 6 days, 84 percent contained
• Burris - 703 acres burned, burning for 7 days, 98 percent contained
• 46 - 328 acres burned, burning for 7 days, 98 percent contained
• Hillside - 200 acres burned, burning for 3 days, 70 percent contained
• Sobrante - 35 acres burned, burning for 2 days, 0 percent contained
• Palisades - burning for 13 days