Friday afternoon, 12 people were killed and five more were wounded at Virginia Beach Municipal Center in Virginia after a gunman opened fired. The suspect worked for the city for 15 years as a civil engineer. According to NBC News, he used a .45 handgun and multiple magazines to carry out the attack, as well as a suppressor.
Naturally, anti-gunners used the event to suggest we need to address "gun violence" and push stricter gun control laws.
Democratic Rep. Cedric Richmond calls on Congress to act after at least 12 people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a municipal building in Virginia Beach, Virginia. https://t.co/H2izgpRkCc pic.twitter.com/i3ho79Nd9b— CNN (@CNN) June 1, 2019
Another horrendous mass shooting in America.— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) June 1, 2019
Another moment for Americans to offer lots of thoughts & prayers - then shrug & do nothing to stop it happening again.
I love America but this complacent attitude to its gun violence culture is horrible. https://t.co/65STSbPAIp
I hate to sound defeatist. But if American attitudes about gun violence haven’t changed after Columbine, Sandy Hook, Aurora, San Bernardino, Las Vegas, Virginia Tech, Virginia Beach and Tree of Life, when will they? What more could it possibly take?— Bryan Behar (@bryanbehar) June 1, 2019
"This story happens all too often," says veteran journalist Dan Rather about the mass shooting at a municipal building in Virginia Beach, Virginia. "And the fact that we haven't done anything really to come to grips with it is despicable" https://t.co/8PyEvNGtt1 pic.twitter.com/qC4Oa56q1Z— CNN (@CNN) June 1, 2019
Listening to the pundits say the only hope they have is the young people. STOP!!! I love the kids and what they have done but they are kids. This is on the adults and we must fix this for the kids. We must say ENOUGH!!! We must bombard McConnell NOW and DEMAND ACTION!!!— Fred Guttenberg (@fred_guttenberg) June 1, 2019
We have as many guns as people. Probably more. We do not have the will to address this. No matter how many or who gets killed. No matter where by whom. https://t.co/nFaR9twnZS— Christopher C. Cuomo (@ChrisCuomo) June 1, 2019
I am outraged and heartbroken.— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) June 1, 2019
How much longer will we ignore the pain of our communities? We need to immediately confront the power of the NRA and end the epidemic of gun violence in this country. https://t.co/tjWCPtC7B2
Dear @senatemajldr McConnell,— Ted Deutch (@TedDeutch) June 1, 2019
Another mass shooting.
Bring up the universal background checks bill. Let every Senator go on record so we know whose side they’re on.
I’m on the side of every American who demands action on gun safety to save lives.
You’re on the wrong side. https://t.co/lI5eIVSHVy
What these people seem to fail to understand: the guy passed a background check when he purchased the firearm legally.
Democrats often call for stricter gun control laws, like universal background checks, but, again, that wouldn't have done anything in this case. Nothing in his background, as far as we know, flagged him as someone who would be a danger to others.
They're also taking aim at suppressors (or "silencers" as they like to call them). They must not know that a person has to pay a $200 fee, apply for a special permit, wait nine months to a year, get approval and then buy the suppressor. It's not like everyone can walk into a gun shop and pick up a suppressor on a whim. They're heavily regulated.
It's important to note that this shooter is like a number of other mass shooters. He purchased his firearm legally and within the confines of the law. AWR Hawkins at Breitbart put together a partial list of other attackers who purchased their firearms legally:
- Poway Synagogue attacker (April 27, 2019)
- Tree of Life Synagogue attacker (October 27, 2018)
- Parkland high school attacker (February 14, 2018)
- Texas church attacker (November 5, 2017)
- Las Vegas attacker (October 1, 2017)
- the Alexandria attacker (June 14, 2017))
- Orlando attacker (June 12, 2016)
- the UCLA gunman (June 1, 2016))
- the San Bernardino attackers (December 2, 2015)
- the Colorado Springs attacker (October 31, 2015)
- the Umpqua Community College attacker (October 1, 2015)
- Alison Parker’s attacker (August 26, 2015)
- the Lafayette movie theater attacker (July 23, 2015)
- the Chattanooga attacker (July 16, 2015)
- the alleged Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal attacker (Jun 17, 2015)
- the Muhammad Carton Contest attackers (May 3, 2014)
- the Las Vegas cop killers (June 9, 2015)
- the Santa Barbara attacker (May 23, 2014)
- the Fort Hood attacker (April 2, 2014)
- the Arapahoe High School attacker (December 13, 2013)
- the D.C. Navy Yard attacker (September 16, 2013)
- the Aurora movie theater attacker (July 20, 2012)
- Gabby Giffords’ attacker (January 8, 2011)
- the Fort Hood attacker (November 5, 2009)
- the Virginia Tech attacker (April 16, 2007)
Pushing for gun control bills, like HR 8, wouldn't have changed anything in this situation. He passed a background check. He applied for a suppressor and obtained it because, again, there was nothing in his background that would indicate he was a danger to himself or others. Democrats need to wake up and realize that their laws, the ones that are currently in place, aren't doing anything to stop these mass shootings. All they're doing is disarming law-abiding gun owners.