House Passes 2017 Defense Bill Without Controversial Draft Provision

Cortney O'Brien
|
Posted: Dec 02, 2016 1:00 PM
House Passes 2017 Defense Bill Without Controversial Draft Provision
The House has just passed the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act by a vote of 375-34, authorizing $618.7 billion in defense spending.

Part of the billions just approved will go to a war fund known as the Overseas Contingency Operations (OCO) account, while other funds will be used for pay raises for troops and troop increases.

Left out of the bill was a controversial provision that would have required women to register for the draft. Instead, the final version offers a review of the entire Selective Service System to determine its effectiveness.

Both Republicans and Democrats applauded the bill's passage. Rep. Adam Smith (D-WA) said it "prioritizes men and women who serve in the military." Reps. Michael McCaul (R-TX) and  Dan Donovan (R-NY) said the NDAA is just what America needs at this volatile time.

“America is currently in the highest threat level environment since 9/11," McCaul said in a statement on Friday. "It is imperative that our nation’s military and security agencies have the funding they need to carry out the critical task of protecting our homeland and the American people. This bill, which includes numerous provisions that were authored by the Committee, provides the Department of Homeland Security with the necessary capabilities and direction to better secure our borders, prevent foreign fighter and terrorist travel, and enhance our cybersecurity capabilities to defend against future threats. We would especially like to commend Chairman Thornberry for his strong leadership on this authorization bill.”

President Obama has a history of vetoing Congress' finalized NDAA bills, but White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest simply said earlier this week that the administration will be reviewing it.