Feds Sue North Carolina Man, Dallas Company Over Alleged $4.6M Medicare Fraud Scheme

Aug 19, 2026 7:00 PM
Premium
Advertisement
Feds Sue North Carolina Man, Dallas Company Over Alleged $4.6M Medicare Fraud Scheme
AP Photo/Andrew Harnik
VIP

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of South Dakota has filed a civil complaint against two defendants for an alleged scheme to defraud Medicare.

As alleged in the complaint, Michael Bingham, 72-year-old, of Laurel Springs, North Carolina, and NeuroSolutions 100, LLC, of Dallas, Texas, violated the False Claims Act by submitting false claims, false records, and false statements to obtain funds from Medicare. The government seeks a total recovery of $4,591,003 from the defendants.

The complaint filed in federal court is part of the Department of Justice’s 2026 National Health Care Fraud Takedown.

“We’ve been directed by the Attorney General to do everything possible to eliminate fraud against the government and seek to recover funds stolen from taxpayers,” said U.S. Attorney Parsons.  “That is what we are doing—and I am incredibly proud of our Assistant United States Attorneys and our entire team of legal specialists who are working so hard to accomplish that mission.”

Within the complaint, the government alleges that NeuroSolutions 100, LLC, which is owned by Michael Bingham, improperly billed Medicare for the surgical implantation of electro-neurostimulators, when in fact the devices were temporary non-surgical electro-acupuncture devices applied behind the patient's ear using an adhesive and/or with needles inserted into the patient’s ear similar to acupuncture. 

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General (HHS-OIG) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services investigated this matter.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Anne Weyer is litigating the case.

"This year’s National Health Care Fraud Takedown represents the greatest whole-of-government effort to combat health care fraud in our Nation’s history,” said Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche. “Under the decisive leadership of President Donald Trump, Vice President JD Vance, the White House Task Force to Eliminate Fraud, and our law enforcement partners, this administration has ushered in a new era of enforcement that will safeguard taxpayer dollars.”

The complaint announced by U.S. Attorney Parsons is part of a strategically coordinated, nationwide law enforcement action that resulted in charges against 455 defendants, including 90 doctors and other licensed medical professionals, for their alleged participation in healthcare fraud and opioid abuse schemes involving over $6.5 billion in false claims and significant patient harm, including death.

The takedown represents a new era in federal, state, and international cooperation to combat healthcare fraud: charges in 56 federal districts and across 45 U.S. states and territories, the most in the Department's history. 

In addition, unprecedented international cooperation over the two-week Takedown resulted in the apprehension and return to the United States of the following healthcare fraudsters: one defendant in Kyrenia in connection with an over $3.7 billion scheme; two defendants in Estonia in connection with a previously charged $10.6 billion scheme; and, in the Philippines, one of FBI’s Most Wanted Fraudsters in connection with a $1.2 billion telemedicine scheme. The Takedown involves the cutting-edge use of data analytics to target the worst actors; seize over $182 million in cash, houses, luxury vehicles, jewelry, and other assets; and provide full spectrum accountability for all criminal actors from doctor’s offices to corporate boardrooms.

This coordinated enforcement action involves a whole-of-government approach, including:

  • Actions by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to suspend 1,079 providers and revoke billing privileges for 1,403 providers.
  • 48 Civil Monetary Payment settlements amounting to over $73 million, over 1,400 provider exclusions, and 25 actions by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG) under the Civil Monetary Penalties Law seeking more than $10 billion in payments to the Medicare Trust Fund from payments that CMS caught and suspended before the funds were paid to the fraudulent providers.
  • Civil charges against 13 defendants for $14.8 million in healthcare fraud schemes, as well as civil settlements with 31 defendants totaling $23 million.
  • 928 administrative cases by the Drug Enforcement Administration seeking the revocation of authority to handle and/or prescribe controlled substances since October 1, 2025.

A civil complaint is merely an allegation. All defendants are presumed innocent until proven liable in a court of law.

News Topics DOJ | HEALTHCARE | HHS | MEDICARE | SOUTH DAKOTA

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos