Last week, Donald Trump famously stated: “building a much bigger, much stronger Republican Party.” Maybe he is right, but the Republican Party is potentially going to be led by Donald Trump who has had very little good to say about current and former elected G.O.P. officials. Whatever he is building is not going to include a significant share of current Republicans.
This week, Mr. Trump indicated that "One of the things I'm going to do if I win... I'm going to open up our libel laws so when they write purposely negative and horrible and false articles, we can sue them and win lots of money."
There are a few things Mr. Trump seems not to understand. The first of which is that if he wants to change any law, he needs to have someone introduce a bill in Congress and then have Congress approve the law. Below is a list of just a few recent insultees. Where and how Donald Trump thinks he is going to get support to change any laws or do anything if he is elected President of the United States is a mystery.
If one insults everyone who has ever disagreed with him, it is hard to imagine any of those individuals ever considering supporting Donald Trump or any policies or programs he brings forward.
- 1. Pope Francis: “disgraceful” and “unbelievable”
- 2. Current U.S. Senator and Prisoner of War John McCain: “He’s not a war hero,” “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”
- 3. Current U.S. Senator Marco Rubio: "this guy is a choke artist"
- 4. Current U.S. Senator Ted Cruz: "that guy's a liar"
- 5. Current U.S. Senator Ron Paul: "I never attacked him on his looks, and believe me there is plenty of subject matter right there" "Truly weird Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky reminds me of a spoiled brat without a properly functioning brain."
- 6. Former President George W. Bush: "Bush didn’t have the IQ [to be president],”
- 7. Bush Administration: "They lied. They said there were weapons of mass destruction. There were none. There were no weapons of mass destruction
- 8. Former Governor Jeb Bush: " Jeb Bush has to like the Mexican Illegals because of his wife.” "Low energy"
- 9. Current U.S. Senator Lindsay Graham: “A total lightweight. In the private sector, he couldn’t get a job. Believe me. Couldn't get a job."
- 10. Charles Krauthammer:“One of the worst and most boring political pundits on television. A totally overrated clown who speaks without knowing facts,”
- 11. Former Governor George Pataki: "couldn’t be elected dog catcher if he ran again—so he didn’t!”
- 12. Former Governor Rick Perry: “Rick Perry failed at the border. Now he is critical of me. He needs a new pair of glasses to see the crimes committed by illegal immigrants,”
- 13. United States of America: “Well, I think our country does plenty of killing also."
- 14. Apple, Inc., one of the most successful companies in the United States employing tens of thousands or workers in the United States: "Boycott Apple until such time as they give the information"
Years ago, the Kingston Trio performed a song entitled The Merry Minuet:
They’re rioting in Africa, they’re starving in Spain,
There’s hurricanes in Florida, and Texas needs rain
This whole world is festering with unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch
And I don’t like anybody very much
But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
For Man’s been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud
And we can be certain that some lovely day
Someone will set the spark off…and we will all be blown away
This "Bigger Republican Party" appears intent to hand the nuclear button off to someone who doesn't like anybody very much.