GOP Voters Are RINO Hunting
NRCC Is Going to Be Ready for War...the Dems Not So Much
The Replies to This Cenk Uygur Tweet About Ed Gallrein Were Brutal
Let's See Who Will Defend the Latest Fiasco Involving Graham Platner
Iran Threatens War 'Beyond the Region' if the US Resumes Attacks
Ilhan Omar's Response When Questioned About Minnesota Fraud Scandal Tells Us All We...
If Voter Fraud Doesn't Happen, Why Is Spanberger Blocking Feds From Polling Places?
A Book About the Threats to the Truth by AI Contains False Content...
Jamie Raskin Continues to Lie About President Trump's Charlottesville Remarks
The U.S. Announces Indictment of Former Cuban Leader Raúl Castro
Did CNN Really Just Get Karen Bass to Admit She's a Failure?
A Bill Maher Guest Argued That China Has 'Freedom' It's Just a Different...
US to Withdraw 5,000 Troops From Europe
When Political Violence Becomes Acceptable, It Becomes Inevitable
Michigan Woman Faces 20 Years After Pleading Guilty to $4.6M Child Modeling Scam
Tipsheet

Once Again, Iraqi Forces Flee, Offensive Towards Mosul Comes to a Halt

Once Again, Iraqi Forces Flee, Offensive Towards Mosul Comes to a Halt

The highly anticipated offensive towards Mosul by the Iraqi combined coalition came to a grinding halt  just after the first few days of fighting.  Once again, Iraqi government troops ordered a full retreat from an offensive that started sometime last week when the ISIS opposition pushed back according to Fox News.  

Advertisement

The Iraqi army, which was heavily criticized for abandoning posts -- and weapons -- as ISIS moved in on Mosul in June 2014, had begun taking small villages on the outskirts after Baghdad announced the campaign March 24. 

"The Iraqi Army commenced an assault on ISIS strongholds around Mosul, but when ISIS fired back, the Iraqi Army ran away and the assaults ended," a western, Iraq-based security and defense specialist told FoxNews.com of last week's failed offensive. "So now they are regrouping and rethinking their next options."

U.S. Army Maj. Jon-Paul Depreo, said some of the Iraqi army troops were unfamiliar with the territory which is why they made the decision to call off the campaign.  "These [Iraqi army] forces aren't from that area necessarily, so they're learning the area," Depreo told reporters in Baghdad.

This is not the first time that the Iraqi fighters have decided to call it quits.  Two years ago the Iraqi Army, which was built on the back of American lives and billions of U.S. tax dollars, dropped their U.S.-issued weapons and fled their posts as ISIS approached Mosul, not only abandoning their posts but allowing their advanced weapons to fall into militant hands.

Advertisement

The Iraqi Army reportedly has around 4,500 troops lined up for the Mosul campaign, augmented by untold numbers of local militia and Kurdish forces. The army is equipped with U.S.-supplied Humvees and a top-of-the-line cache of artillery, anti-tank missiles, air craft, infantry weapons and ammunition.

No date has been set for when troops will try again as it will be more likely to happen many months from now and possibly not even this year. 

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement