Samantha Hagan

Posted August 28, 2009

In 1715, a public weapons magazine was built in the center of the Colonial Virginian capital of Williamsburg. It was erected to house weapons and supplies necessary for the defense of the colony against slave revolts, Native American attacks, and pirate raids. But in 1775, the small brick building became a flash point of the American Revolution when Patrick Henry led a citizens’ militia of up to 500 armed men against the Royal Government of Virginia.