Judge in Luigi Mangione Case Issues Ruling on Evidence
Jeanine Pirro Issues Threat to Parents of Children Who Participate in 'Teen Takeovers'
A Media Shallow Dive on Kash Patel 'Desecrating' Snorkeling Trip; Press Headaches Still...
The Left Keeps the Dream of Disenfranchising Red State Voters Alive
Scott Jennings Breaks Down Why the Left Gets So Violent When You Question...
Jon Ossoff Backs Anti-Voter ID, Soft on Crime Georgia Supreme Court Candidate Jen...
Behold the Inhumanity of the Left as ‘Journalists’ Mock the Death of Brian...
Secretary of Education Says She Put a Stop to FAFSA Fraud As Dead...
President Trump Just Made a Major Announcement About Iran
Stacey Abrams Admits Democrats Are Losing the Redistricting Battle—and It Goes Far Beyond...
Stephen Miller Scorches Thomas Massie Over ICE Funding Votes
Wow, TrumpRx Is Going To Save How Much Money for Americans?
Trump Calls for Investigation Into Maryland Elections After Mail-In Ballot Disaster
Democrat Bob Brooks Claims To Be a "Working Class Fighter," But Can't Seem...
Active Shooter Situation On-Going at Islamic Center of San Diego
Tipsheet

Report: WH Poised to Make Cuts in 'Security Assistance' for Pakistan

Report: WH Poised to Make Cuts in 'Security Assistance' for Pakistan

The White House will announce this week that it will withhold money to Pakistan for “security assistance.” The report comes after President Trump warned the country earlier this week over its failure to take a tougher stance against terrorism.

Advertisement

“The United States has foolishly given Pakistan more than 33 billion dollars in aid over the last 15 years, and they have given us nothing but lies & deceit, thinking of our leaders as fools,” he tweeted Monday. “They give safe haven to the terrorists we hunt in Afghanistan, with little help. No more!”

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters Tuesday that more details about actions against Pakistan would be forthcoming.

Washington has confirmed it will withhold $255 million in U.S. military aid to Pakistan this year, a threat it issued last August when Trump announced his Afghan policy, which took aim at neighboring Pakistan and demanded an end to Islamabad's alleged support for the Afghan Taliban.

Pakistan denies supporting militants, pointing to its own war against extremist groups battling to overthrow the government.

At a top security meeting on Tuesday, Pakistan's civilian and military leadership said Trump's tweet ran counter to meetings held with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Defense Secretary Jim Mattis following the August announcement of Trump's Afghan policy. A statement after the meeting described talks with Tillerson and Mattis as "robust and forward-looking." It also said Trump's New Year's Day tweet was "completely incomprehensible." (Fox News)

Advertisement

Ayaz Sadiq, speaker of Pakistan's lower House of Parliament, told reporters this week a strategy is being discussed in the Parliament’s national security committee following Trump’s tweet.

"A balanced response is needed that would preserve the country's dignity while engaging with the U.S.," Sadiq said. "We have to look as to why questions were raised about" Pakistan.

Army spokesman Maj. Gen. Asif Ghafoor told local Geo TV Wednesday that the country would like to continue working with the U.S. but will not "compromise on national interests and prestige."

"Allies don't fight," he added, saying that "the U.S. should realize how Pakistan has been cooperative in the war against terror."

Join the conversation as a VIP Member

Recommended

Trending on Townhall Videos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement